Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best motor mounts for my V8. What are your recommendations?

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Energy suspension, short and wide.....IMO

T,
I will second that. My local hot rod shop who I do business with uses them on all their pertinent builds. Say they have never seen one break.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
778 Posts
I just looked on their web site. I see the two different mounts they offer. I can see the different dimensions. I don't understand how either can work with a small block if they are different depths? There is a 7/16" difference in the two.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Chevy varied motor mount design to address clearance issues with certain vehicle / motor combinations. The 3rd gen owners often run into this. There was also variation in mounting width dimensions on the frame side. IIRC the 1962 - 67 cars use a wider mount than the "common" SBC mount the local parts house will sell you. "Short and wide" as TomM mentions is then what you would use on an 1962 - 67 Chevy II.

It would not surprise me if Chevy used over a dozen different motor mount designs on the small block from the late '50s into the late '70s.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chevy varied motor mount design to address clearance issues with certain vehicle / motor combinations. The 3rd gen owners often run into this. There was also variation in mounting width dimensions on the frame side. IIRC the 1962 - 67 cars use a wider mount than the "common" SBC mount the local parts house will sell you. "Short and wide" as TomM mentions is then what you would use on an 1962 - 67 Chevy II.

It would not surprise me if Chevy used over a dozen different motor mount designs on the small block from the late '50s into the late '70s.
Energy suspension, short and wide.....IMO

T,
Tom. Could you please send me the part number for the Energy Suspension mounts. I need left and right. 66 Chevy ll Nova SS. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for the best motor mounts for my V8. What are your recommendations?
If street - no solid or stiff mounts or it will vibrate and be miserable. Use the lower priced rubber kind that have a tab that keeps the motor from lifting too far if the mount breaks.
As a note: There was a factory recall that used a cable to connect a bracket added underneath the alternator with a front crossmember bracket. Not a good looking part but it kept the engine from twisting up and causing the throttle to open wide if the mount broke - I have reached for the ignition when that happened more than once back in those days!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If street - no solid or stiff mounts or it will vibrate and be miserable. Use the lower priced rubber kind that have a tab that keeps the motor from lifting too far if the mount breaks.
As a note: There was a factory recall that used a cable to connect a bracket added underneath the alternator with a front crossmember bracket. Not a good looking part but it kept the engine from twisting up and causing the throttle to open wide if the mount broke - I have reached for the ignition when that happened more than once back in those days!
It is called simply a torque strap. Had a original one on my 67 Camaro RS and the originality car nuts drooled on it!

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts