Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done so much research my head is swimming. That being said, i am working on a 1966 Chevy II. I'm doing a 5.3 vortec swap, keeping the old style 4 speed trans. Any advice? I know about the throw out bearing, and the trans positioning. I'm using stock harness PCM and fuse box. Having pcm flashed to remove trans, vatss, and emissions. Wanting to do an in tank pump on the cheap, have some ideas. What about motor mounts, iv researched but info is vague, oil pan? Do i HAVE to use a gto pan? Or is there a cheaper option? Any other help would be awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not sure on the muncie, I can tell you what you will need is a Fbody oil pan, you can get a drop in tank from Aeromotive for about 500.00, motor mounts you will need CBR motor mount plates. The tough part is do you really want to put this in a stock suspension front end? I would consider switching it out with CBR.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to. But at the moment I can't afford it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the f body pan work? So far iv heard that only the gto pan will work on a 66.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what i thought damn they are expensive

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a '64 2 door (don't know the difference suspension wise from a '66) and I have a 1999 LQ4 6.0 (LONG CRANK) with a muncie 4-speed. Also you didn't specify what year motor.

What I used to accomplish this (once build is done I will write up a full build post and these are all things i have already installed and confirmed fitment):
  • Oil Pan:
  • Headers:
    • Everyone recommends CBR headers but for me they are a little too pricey
    • I found Sanderson Headers had some they claimed would fit with stock steering and suspension and after installing them they fit well.
    • (LS14 Header Set SKU LS14-P) ~$390 NOT PAINTED (Painted myself with ceramic paint saved $100)
  • Bell Housing:
    • 621 Bellhousing
    • I personally used one from Silver Sport Transmissions (~$200 but im sure you can find them cheaper) and it came with a Pilot bearing that worked perfectly
  • Motor Mounts:
    • Im using Energy Suspension SBC motor mounts with ICT Billet Motor mount adapters.
    • (Able to get the new motor into pretty much the same position as stock SBC)
  • Flywheel:
    • This one seems to be unknown by the community and much debate for the long crank motors (1999 - 2001)
    • Mcleod makes a flywheel specifically for the long crank with the extra .400 (PN MCL-460537)
    • works perfectly but a little pricey at ~$400 (maybe that is why nobody recommends it) but I saved myself the headache.
  • Clutch:
    • Mcleod Super Street Pro 11" (Mfr. #: 75224) ~$300
I really hope this helps you and anybody who finds it here at the bottom of comments. ANY feedback is welcomed.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
doc......how do you like that ? you join two days ago an come for help in steves nova site an in no time your squared away with a working plan. its all called Nova People Helping Nova People. NPHNP. the best of luck to you. enjoy the cruise when you can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, thank all of you. Iv always been a nova guy and I think I'll die one too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Redrider i know right?? it actually took me HOURSSSS to find everything out for my build between this forum site and LS1tech.com forums. Honestly about a year of off and on research and buying/trying parts.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks for the parts list..

The TSP oil pan is out of stock.. We’re not out of the woods yet.. I believe I’ve read about a Holley oil pan here on the site..

Is the rear steering linkage the main problem with the oil pan..?

FYI.. 62-67 ChevyII’s stock front clips and suspension are pretty much all the same..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the parts list..

The TSP oil pan is out of stock.. We’re not out of the woods yet.. I believe I’ve read about a Holley oil pan here on the site..

Is the rear steering linkage the main problem with the oil pan..?

FYI.. 62-67 ChevyII’s stock front clips and suspension are pretty much all the same..
The rear steering linkage was my issue with the oil pan. And i didn't wanna spend the extra money on something like the oil pans that have a cut out on the sump for the steering.

Also good to know for the suspension. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK so if you don't mind shopping on ebay they have the TSP front sump oil pan kits on there for ~$250. Comes with Pan, Bolts, Pickup, and gasket.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The Holley oil pan I was thinking of is not going to work with the stock clip steering setup.. Its similar to the F body pan Holley part# 302-2. It’s listed in the LSX Forum in the LS oil pan list thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are there any ways to convert the steering location without buying the cpp or cbr kit. I want the cbr kit but don't have the funds yet

1 - 20 of 46 Posts