Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Chevy II with a 350 small block... I have an MSD Mini starter and a set of Flow Tech headers. Im having all sorts of clearance issues and this stuff is supposed to fit with no issues. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this combo to work??? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
If you could post pics it would help,Not familiar with the headers or the starter.Is the MSD Hitachi based?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
a lot of the header manufacturers will state in their footnotes that their headers only fit OEM size flywheel/flexplate applications... which is 153 for '62-'67's. if a 168 is used the starter is located further out on the engine and there is generally starter to header interference issues.

also... a lot of mini starters are clockable...

hope i helped...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the starter is clockable, but still not enough room. im starting to wonder if the headers are not up to par being that they are Flowtech brand. not sure just yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had the same problem when adding my Hedman headers from Summit about 3 years ago. Summit said they would bolt right on with no clearance issues. Not even close. You either have to get a special starter for around $250.00 and research it first, or you will have to heat the header pipe that is hitting your starter and hammer it in nicely to make enough room for your starter. Sounds Gnarly but trust me there is no other option unless you pay for some high dollar headers. I feel your pain because I went through the same thing. Keep everyone updated on this.

·
Registered
821 Posts
starter

I have just put a 355 into a 66 and has full length chassis headers with a powermaster mini starter, 153 tooth flex plate and I clocked the soliniod so its on the bottom out of the way. The only problem I had was the block was not drilled for both mounting types!!! and had to drill and tap and counterbore the lead to fit the shoulder of the bolt. I used the mini starter as a jig, and made up a collar/drill guide that fit snug into the starter hole to guide the 12" long 5/16 drill to get by the pan and headers. A little ingenuity saved alot of work pulling the engine to remedy the situation.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yes the starter is clockable, but still not enough room. im starting to wonder if the headers are not up to par being that they are Flowtech brand. not sure just yet.

what flywheel are you using? might not be the headers.... they may be designed for a 153 tooth application. if you're using the 168... that may be where the issue is coming from...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I put a set of modded Flotech headers in my car. They're real tight fit along the starter. So I wrapped the collector with header wrap.
The rubber boot sits super close to the header, but with the wrap on it. There is zero issues with things being burnt, discolored or heat sink.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts