Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much deliberation, and looking at countless cars online and in person around Canada and the US, I found this ol' girl nice and close to home. Not perfect (few are) but I like it and its good enough for me overall. Although it was back to stock-ish with the original 283 & PG when I got it, she has a few stories to tell- evidence of another life, another time... Some of the BC guys on here might know more about the car than I do?!

This is my second "Nova", the first was a 1963 sport coupe that I swapped a 4.3 V6 into to test the waters for owning/driving/working on one of these. Can link to the post here:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566177&highlight=roadkill

I got the '63 up and running but it was far from finished and I wasn't feeling like dumping alot of time or money into that car. It served its purpose and I had some fun with it, but wanted something a little better to start with since planning to keep it for a while. Still love the 1st gens and I'll probably have another one again someday... maybe a wagon next time! We have 3 kids now so that would work out better :turn: And my dog is still kickin around too, "Another car project... another Nova?" :bored: she says :D

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice purchase. I am looking for next Nova also now that my project is coming to its first finish (i am sure it will get another change before long)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and yes it is a bit rare- almost more than I'd like since its going to have a bunch of changes... BUT... the car was already been modified here and there in the past and is going to be a driver- so I'm going to do it up how I want it :yes:

The rough plan:

Engine- 2008 Gen 4 aluminum block 5.3 with 243 heads, dod delete, PAC 1218 springs, Elgin 1840 cam (ya the SS2 cam :), Comp trunion upgrade, LS1 pan, CBR headers (got a sweet deal on some or it would be manifolds), MS3 Gold box EFI. Annnnnnnd a few more parts to make choo choo noises down the road :D Figured before it was possible but nice to know I can fit a turbo in the stock clip. Tanks Inc tank with 255 pump for now, 400 for later

Trans- torn between 4L80 vs 700R4, still can't decide... I've got time. TKO 5 speed would be nice...

Front Suspension- CBR uppers, lowers, R&P, LS/Vette brakes going in.

Rear Suspension- Stock for now, thinking CBR 4 link or the Speedway truck arm kit :devil: with a 8.8 or narrowed 12bolt.

Some things to note in the engine bay and why I'm guessing it had something with a bit more power in the past- the inner fenders were cut out for fenderwell headers and these engine hold downs were installed on both sides. Brake MC upgraded to dual pot, not done very well but thats all getting changed out. Also noticed that it had no balancer/damper on the 283- just a pulley on a stub that is pressed on the crank. Did some checking around and it turns out some early ones came that way, still running so whatever works

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out with the old... :rolleyes:

For Novas- I've pulled a I6, installed and pulled a V6 but hadn't worked with the V8 yet. Mostly all the same, more/less room here and there. Didn't take long to remember how annoying and low these cars are. So low that when you hit your head, you hit it 2 times because you pull back and hit it again on the ground. Haha I probably wrote that before too, but did it again :(

I rarely have someone else around to give a hand but most of this can be done by yourself if needed. The hood is tricky to pull off solo, but I managed on my '63 so figured why not. I spent a couple evenings getting it prepared and last night got down to business! For the engine/trans just loosen/remove anything attached or in the way, chain/hoist to the engine, jack under trans, and I removed the pass side exhaust manifold and engine frame mount for more clearance. Its always nice when able to pull the engine and trans together, and no damage done is a bonus!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Going to be a great project to fallow! Those engine hold downs were a factory recall if I recall right.:D Installed at the dealership. Think it was the 3rd biggest recall in history.
3. General Motors' largest recall comes in at No. 3 on the NHTSA list. Investigators found over a dozen 1960s and 1970s models had faulty engine mounts that could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly. GM recalled 6.7 million cars and trucks and installed a restraining device to hold the engine in place.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i had a 69 impala with a 327 back in maybe 78 an a motor mount let loose. ya full throttle with a 4 barrel carb wide open. i layed some good rubber down until i got the key turned off.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to be a great project to fallow! Those engine hold downs were a factory recall if I recall right.:D Installed at the dealership. Think it was the 3rd biggest recall in history.
3. General Motors' largest recall comes in at No. 3 on the NHTSA list. Investigators found over a dozen 1960s and 1970s models had faulty engine mounts that could cause the vehicle to accelerate unexpectedly. GM recalled 6.7 million cars and trucks and installed a restraining device to hold the engine in place.
Ahh that makes sense- I figured there might be something more behind those hold downs because they have a factory type look/finish to them, but could tell they were added after. Thanks for the info!

i had a 69 impala with a 327 back in maybe 78 an a motor mount let loose. ya full throttle with a 4 barrel carb wide open. i layed some good rubber down until i got the key turned off.
Crazy... that would be intense :eek:

Thanks for the parts link, nothing I need for now but I'll probably find out I'm missing parts when I go to put the windows back in

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the Mill

I've had a few LS engines in and out of the garage over the past couple years but have had this alum block LH6 5.3 the longest and chose it to build up for the car... and have kept a cast iron gen 4 as a back up.

The DOD delete can be pieced together with GM parts, but I bought a kit with everything needed from Texas Speed. The cam is the Elgin1840 with PAC 1218 springs that can handle the extra lift, LS3 cam gear, with comp cams trunion upgrade on the rockers and a LS1/F body oil pan. Bottom end is stock and I left the rings alone, its got some miles on it and if/when add the turbo I plan to stay under 10-12lbs so it shouldn't be a problem. I want to run it NA to start off to see how she scoots on this motor alone :D

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
awesome car, looking forward to seeing this build unfold.

we must shop at the same place ;) i have the same cam/springs sitting right here...actually two sets, one in my engine & one on front seat lol.

thats also interesting about the engine straps, i did not know that either. felt that they looked oem also, but done later. and only one side was bolted up when i got my car...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome car, looking forward to seeing this build unfold.

we must shop at the same place ;) i have the same cam/springs sitting right here...actually two sets, one in my engine & one on front seat lol.
Thanks- I had a LSA cam that I was going to use but like the results and sound of the SS2 cam... NA or with a turbo it rips! I've followed along with your build as well- gotta be ready to fire it up soon?!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mail man dropped off some car goodies yesterday... new turbski and a full brake line kit from Inline Tube. Caught a 20% off sale on ebay so I grabbed a couple "want" items.

Turbo is the 78/75 VS racing special, and the brake line kit is for a '67 Nova with disk brakes. Might have to swap out some ends to work with the Wilwood mc and "LS brakes" I'll be using but I've got enough on the go and will take the easy way this time. Hope they fit... I'll let you guys know if they work out or not. The box was all beat up but it looks like they made it unscathed- no kinks and I just have to straighten them out in a few areas that are pre marked.

Time to sort thru my brown box collection and start throwing parts on the car! :yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks- I had a LSA cam that I was going to use but like the results and sound of the SS2 cam... NA or with a turbo it rips! I've followed along with your build as well- gotta be ready to fire it up soon?!
i need to update the post here, but not much has happened picture wise. i did send out 2 sets of decaps to have cleaned/tested. messaged him to get status and he said he never seen them...find tracking info, and they just fell off the earth. good times. so im kinda screwed it seems... but i did order a bunch of other parts to fill in some blanks and fix some stuff. made a new list. might order wheels tonight...

that is quite a stack of boxes you have going on!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow... almost a year since I have worked on the Acadian. Got sidetracked with work, kids and a couple other projects along the way and have had no extra time for the Canso. I put all my CBR parts under the car about 6 months ago and hoped they'd find their way onto it by luck/Overhaulin/gnomes/osmosis, but nope. The good thing is I've had a lot of time to figure out the powertrain I want in this car and its coming together. Having a endless supply of cheap LS motors nearby and ADD is a mofo haha.

Finally had a spare evening to work on the car so I ripped out the old interior and tried out a couple seat combos. Had some nice newer Impala/Malibu leather seats to use but they sit up too high, so looks like going with RSX buckets up front for now with TL/Accord in the rear. Might just recover the stock seat in the rear though. We'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
those new seats look really comfortable for a long trip. i was looking close at your steering wheel, the center cap is different on the canso. an also a badge on the place where a clock would be. an only 302 made your sure not going to see another next to you at a stop light. last year at a car show i saw a 68 beumont sport deluxe convert an only like 65 of those were made.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
those new seats look really comfortable for a long trip. i was looking close at your steering wheel, the center cap is different on the canso. an also a badge on the place where a clock would be. an only 302 made your sure not going to see another next to you at a stop light. last year at a car show i saw a 68 beumont sport deluxe convert an only like 65 of those were made.
Yes long drive comfort and head rests were mandatory for me and they are pretty light too. Once I modify the mounts they will sit lower and should fit nice in the car. And ya the Acadians have a few unique 'touches" here and there. I like the steering wheel and will be trying to keep it/rework it if possible... but that may not work out.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i jusy installed a 66 steering wheel on my nova. i had to do some paint work on the center cap an the wheel was redone an painted by the guy i bought it from. it looks some much better with an original wheel. you should keep that wheel as its original.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts