Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone reproduce the rubber dust boot that goes on the underside of the automatic floor shifter of a 66? I am converting a column shift car to floor shift with console. I have already welded the shifter hump to the floor pan, but I was looking through the catalogs and did not find the dust boot. I am considering using the Shiftworks shifter instead of an original, as their shifter looks like it could have a solid pan installed under it since it uses a cable that goes through the tunnel in front of the hump, and is sealed by a grommet. I have a line on an original Powerglide shifter that I could retrofit with the correct detents for my 4L70 trans, but If I can't get a seal to keep the heat and fumes from coming up through the shifter hole, if will be of little use.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
yes that dust boot can be had at classic ind. an it fits perfect with that original GM power glide shifter. an the linkage can be found at shiftworks. i had to put some bends into the shifter linkage to get a smooth fit. message me if you need any more info on the install. now if you don't use that power glide shifter i would be interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me what they call it? I have tried every search I could think of, and it did not come up.

I have tried dust boot, floor seal, shifter boot, and on and on.........
I have found this seal for Camaros, and for later Novas, but nothing that says it will fit a 66 Nova shifter.

Thanks

·
Vendor
1,313 Posts
I have the boot if still needed. Also have original floor shift assemblies.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
john, good you found it as i was going to go thru my old papers from classic an find the part number for you. also look close as that boot only goes one way on the bolt pattern. its been 2 years since i installed mine. i know it would take some time to replace one an without that boot the engine smells could come in. best of luck in your install. i do have a few picture of the install if you ever need. just a note, i hope you cut a big enough hole in the body floor before you welded in that hump. also lay the carpet in place before you bolt the shifter in place. makes it easier to correctly center the carpet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
john, good you found it as i was going to go thru my old papers from classic an find the part number for you. also look close as that boot only goes one way on the bolt pattern. its been 2 years since i installed mine. i know it would take some time to replace one an without that boot the engine smells could come in. best of luck in your install. i do have a few picture of the install if you ever need. just a note, i hope you cut a big enough hole in the body floor before you welded in that hump. also lay the carpet in place before you bolt the shifter in place. makes it easier to correctly center the carpet.
Yes, I cut the floor out so that the floor pan hole was just large enough for the flange on the hump to sit on it, and then welded the seam on both the top and bottom. No lip left over underneath the car to catch and hold junk. Took a couple of fits and a bit of hammer and dolly work to get the fit perfect, but it was worth it. I am going to hold off on the shifter right now, because I have not decided what to do on the console. I was going to use the stock console and shifter, but that was before I saw the TMI full length console. I am probably just going to use a complete TMI interior, but they still have not released a couple of parts for production. They tell me it will probably be June before the console and dash pad will be available. If I end up using their console, I may use an aftermarket shifter that uses a cable and weld up a solid sheetmetal pan to go under the shifter to seal off the heat and smell.

I doubt seriously that the June time frame will be a problem, as the car is still on the rotisserie and I still have not finished the fabrication. At some point, I need to quit working on it and get my 56 Bel Air finished.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
i removed a cable operated B & M shifter pro stick, i hated it, didn't like the look. i wanted the original look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I don't see myself putting something like the ProStick shifter in. Anything I install will have to only have the handle and shaft of the shifter visible. I want something that looks like it might have come from the factory, but not necessarily an original shifter. I will have to see the TMI console in real life before I can truly make a decision. Even if I go the original looking route, Shiftworks has a stock looking Nova shifter that is cable operated, and has neutral safety and backup switches already mounted. It is designed for all the mechanism to be hidden by a stock console, but has a stock looking shaft and handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts