Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there are a lot of requests for correct buckets seats for Novas.
I've decided to get as much info as possible on the buckets seats from 1966 to 1974 Novas and have talked with Greg from Nova Research Projects about putting it on his wesbsite.

Here is what I am looking for.

Buckets - Any pics of original buckets from 66 to 74 and what year they are. I believe there were minor differences in the patterns over the years.

Tracks - probably the biggest problem with everyone is with the correct tracks. I need year, measurements and pics.

Floor mounts - I need the year, measurements and pics

The following is what I think know for sure at this time. :confused:

66 buckets - no headrest, backs do not lock.

67 buckets - no headrest, backs lock with lock buttons on the side.

66 & 67 tracks - same tracks, both are same height, the seat will sit level if sitting on the ground.

68 buckets - no headrest, backs lock with buttons on side but from chevynuts88 thread 68 Bucket?, believe the lock button is not in the same place as 67 and the backs are a little diifferent due to the buttons and the way they connect on the back of the seat.

69 to 71 - headrest installed, lock buttons in the middle of the back of the seat back.

68 to 71 - same tracks, different heights, seat will lean towards the door side due to the inside tracks being higher.

72 to 74 - tracks same height, seat will sit level.

72 to 74 high back buckets

68 mounts consist of four pads on floorboards for each seat.

69 to 71 mounts, two pads on outside tracks and the middle mounts go over the trans hump with bolts on both sides.

72 to 74 almost identical to 69 to 71 with the exception of the bolt placement in the mount.

I believe the bucket seat frame is the same for all 'A' body cars, tracks, headrest and seat back locks will determine years.

I do have one set of 70 bucket seats that have original material. I also have another set but am not sure what year 69-71.

You can post your info here for others to see and send any info to me at [email protected].

Here are pictures of what I have at this time. Bucket seats

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I believe that for the 67 and 68 seats headrests WHERE optional so they are avialable with them:)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Seats

71SS,
My 69,70 and 71 all have the Same Pattern in the Seats.I have a Picture of Section of 70 Floorpan with the Hump and Bucket Mounts if want me to send it to you.Also the Seats in my cars seem to set level,not lean towards the door.
Joe

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe,
I should have clarified about the seats and the lean. When they are out of the car and sitting on a floor, they will lean.
Please send any pics you have if they are original material.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
71SS said:
Is there anyone with more info and pics?
Thanks, Dan

i have a set of 67's out of my car right now but I was under the impression from the original post that you wanted pics of seats with original style seat covers and mine are not...they are in the diamond pattern fom the 70's..if you want I can get pics for ya?

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone interested, here are pics of original 69-71 and 72-74 bucket seat mounts.
The 69-71 mounts are ones I cut out of a 70 SS.
The 72-74 are ones I bought off eBay that were suppose to be 69-71 but are not. They are the same as the ones 2slow72 cut out of a 73 and put in his 72.
Unless someone proves me wrong, it's my story and I'm sticking with it. :D

Original 69 – 74 Nova bucket seat mounts

I will continue updating this info as I learn more so if you have anything to share, please do. This will benefit us and all those that follow in our footsteps.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm one of the many who have a set of buckets ( and a bucket seat Nova!), but the two won't fit! I'm not sure what type of car my buckets are from, but the tracks don't line up. I'd be glad to send pics, but I'm not sure they will be useful - heck, one of the seats is actually a very dark green!

I was given some advice on my track issue. Basically, I was told that it's probably best if I cut the tracks that I have to fit the Nova floor design. Has anyone ever tried this? Hard/easy? Any tips/tricks to getting it done?

Thx,
M

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Here are some original 74 Nova buckets.

I've also got a set of 74 seat tracks in storage. Next time I'm there I'll snap some pics if you still need them.

John

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YENKO DEUCE REG said:
I'm one of the many who have a set of buckets ( and a bucket seat Nova!), but the two won't fit! I'm not sure what type of car my buckets are from, but the tracks don't line up. I'd be glad to send pics, but I'm not sure they will be useful - heck, one of the seats is actually a very dark green!

I was given some advice on my track issue. Basically, I was told that it's probably best if I cut the tracks that I have to fit the Nova floor design. Has anyone ever tried this? Hard/easy? Any tips/tricks to getting it done?

Thx,
M
M,
Please send me pics. I think you have 'A' body tracks and I do not have any pics of them.

From what I have gathered. 'A' body bucket frames are the same as Nova bucket frames, the tracks are the difference.
I believe 'A' Body tracks are 15" center to center, front to back. Also, all the feet are the same heights. What about the side to side measurement?

Here is a thread we had going on the dimensions of the Nova tracks.
Nova tracks thread

I've never seen the pics of what all you had to do to restore your Deuce, but with the experience you had with it, I'm sure you could tackle the tracks.
Talking about just one track here, I believe you'll have to shorten both the inner and outer track the same distance to get the proper length. Then you will have to either lengthen or shorten the height of each foot.
I would not change the floor mounts if it were mine.

onequiknova,
Thanks for the pics, I'll save them in my archive, hope to get this info on Nova Research Projects soon.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dan,
I believe you are right, they are A-body tracks. When the seats are on the floor they sit pretty much level - if I remember correctly. In order to make them fit, I will indeed need to shorten the length of both the inside & outside track, and lower them. I plan to do just that- but also thought that I could heat them and bend them 'shorter' so to speak. I'll know more when it thaws out around here :rolleyes:
M

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M,
I was thinking about this after I posted before and trying to figure out an easier way to do this and what I came up with is...
Maybe you can just cut the feet and weld them back on so they fit the mounts. This way you would not have to cut the tracks as that will be a little tricky.
As for bending them, they already fit flush against the bottom of the seat frame, so I don't think you could.
Please let me know how they come out.
Dan

·
Registered
225 Posts
You may want to expand your research into other buckets that we shared with the Nova. For example, Corvair buckets appear to be very similar, if not identical. I have some examples of Corvair buckets that I could photograph and measure if there is any interest. The reason that Corvair seats might be of interest is their high availability (all of the top line Corvairs had buckets -- even the 4 doors) and low cost. The 67-69 Corvairs had the clamshell buckets had the more padded ones (I have examples of each).

·
Registered
225 Posts
69NovaSS said:
there was a four door Corvair?????:eek: :confused:
Yes, the 4-door was the first model introduced (1960). The 2-door followed shortly thereafter. When I said "all" top of the line Corvairs had buckets, that isn't quite true. All of the top line 2-doors had them and the 4-doors followed.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
NovaDave said:
Yes, the 4-door was the first model introduced (1960). The 2-door followed shortly thereafter. When I said "all" top of the line Corvairs had buckets, that isn't quite true. All of the top line 2-doors had them and the 4-doors followed.

well shoot I learn something new here everyday...cool:)

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I checked the measurements on the 66 buckets
length of tracks 15 1/2" tip to tip
Front height 2 1/8"
Rear height 1 1/2"
:) JR

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have a set that looks identical to onequiknova's pics, except there is no seatbelt holders, or the 'buzzer' wires. could these be out of a 72 nova? pre-seat belt era?
eric

1 - 20 of 122 Posts