2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Prices are way out of line...the more the rich guys pay this, then it becomes the

norm! I have a spare set that is way nicer and still not worth that much coin.

Looks to me he is just throwing it out there, hoping it sticks with someone that

really needs the trim and pays it. Make an offer means, I'll take less, but wait

till the auction is almost over and he sees that no one is taking the bait, then

hit the seller with an offer.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Maybe not as rare as the seller thinks. Two-tone coupes had this trim as well as the vinyl-top cars. According to Nova Resource, there were 9,379 two-tones in 1966 and 5,063 in 1967. We do, however, need to remember that some of those two-toned cars were sedans and wagons...

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Wish I had the money for them :bored: I want to put back the vinyl top on my Nova :yes:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
i guess i don't know were this trim would go. is it the piece that goes at the bottom of the sail panel an quarter panel ? still alot of cash for 2 pieces of trim.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I had the money for them :bored: I want to put back the vinyl top on my Nova :yes:
For that much money you could buy three sets!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So how much are you selling your set for Mr. JD? :rolleyes:
NOT FOR SALE! :D I'm stingy! But I see what you mean...you have to find a guy willing to sell and asking a reasonable price.

i guess i don't know were this trim would go. is it the piece that goes at the bottom of the sail panel an quarter panel ? still alot of cash for 2 pieces of trim.
That's where it goes.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
thats were i thought it would go. looks good. so without the vinyl top an the trim installed. that should of been on all 66-67 hard tops with or without the vinyl top.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
It was standard on some Acadians in the period, so it is a bit easier to find in the border states where the Canadian vehicles intermingle. The prices for it on eBay lately have been insanely high, but I have seen a pair sell for over $500 so there is a market.

There are rumblings that it may be reproduced and I would imagine it inevitably will. The 3rd gen trim is available so there is a precedence to work off of.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
thats were i thought it would go. looks good. so without the vinyl top an the trim installed. that should of been on all 66-67 hard tops with or without the vinyl top.
Not all...just vinyl top cars and two tone paint cars. If neither had that, then no trim.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
So there might have been 9,000+ or 5,000+ two tones built in ‘66 &’67. That’s considered low production based on the total cars built. We’re not basing this on how many were built 50 years ago, but rather how many of these chrome trim pieces are still around. They’ve never been reproduced and no vender has yet to tell that they ever will. Yes, I agree, the asking prices are extremely high, but there are folks who need them and know that the chances of finding any, are slim. We just saw 2 members mentioned that they have a pair but won’t sell them. My ‘67 came with them originally and there’re still on the car. I have a 2nd pair that I pulled off a parts car, 22 years ago. These need work but are salvageable. The biggest profit will be knowing that another Nova owner will be happy to have and use them. Just FYI, these are interchangeable from left to right side. You just have to flip them upside down to fit properly on the opposite side. Thanks to all. I used 3m double sided tape, plus the original plastic clips to keep them in place. With the clips alone, they’re rather easy to slide off. Sharing this as a warning not as any ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Learn something new every day on this site.

Do ALL Canadian cars have the little trim piece at the bottom of the front piller or just cars with Vinyl

tops?

Dave

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
It was standard on some Acadians in the period, so it is a bit easier to find in the border states where the Canadian vehicles intermingle.
I sometimes wonder if people read the previous posts further back than the current comment... :D

Trim and interior were the two cheap ways to visually rebrand otherwise "identical" cars to create new models. It was done heavily on the early Novas.

I think this trim is floating around out there at swap meets and in people's parts piles. It is just a hard part to figure out what the heck it is. I came across a pair recently that I passed on, as I just couldn't confirm they were legit.

·
13,707 Posts
There were no factory vinyl tops for 1966 and 1967 Chevy IIs built in Canada. There were 2 tones.

D99 trim could be ordered as an option both years, even if the car wasn't a 2 tone. Interestingly, the D99 trim could show up without being ordered. This was especially common in 1967. There are examples of Canadian 1966/67 Nova Super Sports and Sport Coupes with D99 trim that wasn't ordered or paid for, although it shows up on the car's GM Canada documentation option list. Seems they knew they would have no use for this trim after '67, so they just ramdomly installed it

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts