Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend wants to install new door hinges on his 67 hardtop and he ran into something curious. The original upper door hinges are stamped steel on his 67 but he says he could only buy the cast aluminum ones that fit 62-66. He compared the steel and aluminum side by side and says the hinge pin is in a different location. I thought doors for 66 and 67 were interchangeable. I know the 67 has the door lock knob but I didn't think the door shells were different. Are the 67 hinges one year only? Will the earlier aluminum hinges work on a 67? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 67's are steel. I looked on Rockauto and they only have the uppers for a 66. Nothing upper for a 67. I don't think those Rockauto 66 uppers would work on my 67. They are different. Never done hinges on my car so can't be 100% sure on incompatibility. Not much help I guess:confused:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can't he just change the bushings or are the hinges bent?
Yeah, he will probably just replace the bushings. Now I'm just curious why the 67 is different then the 66. How about it second gen guys?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not to hijack but since Rockauto was brought up, I bought a pair of lower door hinges for my 63 sedan from Rock and they are cast iron (heavy). Didn't really need the extra weight since I race it sometimes but they should be plenty strong, lol. I didn't install them yet, I think I'll use them on my 63 SS and get another pair from somewhere else. Hopefully they'll be lighter.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
67 Upper door hinge

All the lower hinge's are the same...62-67 but the uppers are 62-66 and are a cast aluminum. The 67 upper hinge is steel and is a one year only.

Here is a 67 upper hinge..I cannot find my 66 hinge or I would show the difference of the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the lower hinge's are the same...62-67 but the uppers are 62-66 and are a cast aluminum. The 67 upper hinge is steel and is a one year only.

Here is a 67 upper hinge..I cannot find my 66 hinge or I would show the difference of the two.
Things that make you go hmmmmmm... If the pins are in a different location on the 67 vs. 66, how is it that the doors will bolt on to either year?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
They were changed for safety concerns. The cast hinges of years prior to '67 would be more prone to breaking in a crash where the steel hinges would bend and contort but not snap as easily. '67 was the first year of the collapsible steering column also.

My last car had a '66 door on the passenger side, and a '67 door on the driver side. So either hinge should fit both years.

Door hinges are mentioned at the end.

Heres a repop 66 hinge

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JD, I believe you have solved my mystery.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
As JD said the hinges do interchange. The upper hinge bolts are different in 67. They are not counter sunk. The pin and bushings I am pretty sure are the same as the 3rd gen cars.

The door shells also differ where the door lock relay mounts. There is also a bit of difference at the bottom of the door where the trim mounts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts