Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody post some pics of how the trim on the opening of the quarter window secures to the quarter panel? I took the apart long time ago and have replaced both quarter panels, and they have no holes punched in them for retainer clips to hold the stainless trim in place. I have the stainess trim, but neither has any clips on the trim, so I am flying blind! I presume there is some sort of spring steel clip the clips through some holes in the quarter panel, but some pics of the clips and mounting holes, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, John McGraw

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's some pics of the drivers side on my 66. Not sure if this helps. The stainless trim is held onto the quarter with 2 small screws and the felt locks into the stainless by some small tangs. Underneath the blue tape are the 2 screws that hold the stainless.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was just going to post the same question. I had my car in the body shop for the last few months and it came home today so I am starting to put it back together. I found the same thing as the rear quarters were both replaced and there are no slots there for the clips now. I presume I will have to drill some holes for small screws to install the revel trim
I also had the idea of putting a thin strip of butyl under them when installing, yea or nay?

·
Registered
228 Posts
FWIW, the pics I posted of my 66 are of factory quarters. The quarter only has 2 holes where the stainless screws into. The felt is clipped onto the stainless. The quarter doesnt have any slots in it

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also had door skins replaced when in the body shop and I found the slots in the door skins were the same size as the inner panel where the cat wiskers are installed, maybe there is a difference between the SS hardtop and the non-SS that would not have had the revel moldings, just cat wiskers inside and out.
I got mine installed today using screws on both the quarters and doors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I had a sneaking suspicion that two screws were all that held this on. I saw the 2 square raised pads on the trim, that had large square holes and I kind of thought that the screws went through where the large square holes were in the trim. With the trim in place, it is real obvious where to place the screws, since the pads are raised under the fuzzy, and are very visible when you look at it from inside the car. I will just install the trim with fuzzies already installed and screw through the fuzzies and through the square hole in the trim, into the quarter panel lip.
Sometimes it is tough figuring how stuff goes together on the early Novas. We don't have detailed assembly manuals like I have had for Corvettes. On Corvettes, their assembly manual shows every single nut, screw, or rivet used on the car and how it went together, but with Novas, the body came to the assembly line completely put together at the body plant, and I have never seen a detailed body assembly manual for one

Regards, John McGraw

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I had a sneaking suspicion that two screws were all that held this on. I saw the 2 square raised pads on the trim, that had large square holes and I kind of thought that the screws went through where the large square holes were in the trim. With the trim in place, it is real obvious where to place the screws, since the pads are raised under the fuzzy, and are very visible when you look at it from inside the car. I will just install the trim with fuzzies already installed and screw through the fuzzies and through the square hole in the trim, into the quarter panel lip.
Sometimes it is tough figuring how stuff goes together on the early Novas. We don't have detailed assembly manuals like I have had for Corvettes. On Corvettes, their assembly manual shows every single nut, screw, or rivet used on the car and how it went together, but with Novas, the body came to the assembly line completely put together at the body plant, and I have never seen a detailed body assembly manual for one

Regards, John McGraw
Hey John, did you get around to the tail lights yet on the new quarters?
I am re-assembling my 66 now and when I tried to install the tail lights they do not follow the shape of the quarter like they did on the original quarters. I am looking at reshaping the tail light to fit if I need to but thought I would ask first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey John, did you get around to the tail lights yet on the new quarters?
I am re-assembling my 66 now and when I tried to install the tail lights they do not follow the shape of the quarter like they did on the original quarters. I am looking at reshaping the tail light to fit if I need to but thought I would ask first.
My tail lights fit pretty well. The driver's side was a little low on the inner top corner, and gaped a little for the top 1/2", but a little filler and a little blocking fixed that. The passenger side fit like a glove. The mounting holes were way off on the driver's side, and I had to take a 1/4" carbide burr to move the holes inboard a little over 1/4". Had I looked at the quarters a little closer before welding, I would have seen the low spot on the flange on the upper corner, and could have resolved the fit with a body hammer and dolly, but after I had welded the panels, the flange was double up there, and was impossible to get at with any of my body hammers.

Regards, John McGraw

·
Registered
176 Posts
My tail lights fit pretty well. The driver's side was a little low on the inner top corner, and gaped a little for the top 1/2", but a little filler and a little blocking fixed that. The passenger side fit like a glove. The mounting holes were way off on the driver's side, and I had to take a 1/4" carbide burr to move the holes inboard a little over 1/4". Had I looked at the quarters a little closer before welding, I would have seen the low spot on the flange on the upper corner, and could have resolved the fit with a body hammer and dolly, but after I had welded the panels, the flange was double up there, and was impossible to get at with any of my body hammers.

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks John for the info, unfortunately I just got the car back from paint and it is what it is. My only options are to live with the fit as it is or modify the tail lights a bit. Maybe I am just being a bit picky but the lights were perfect with the original quarters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts