Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Despite researching how to put drip rail trim on that was restored by George Lucas, I managed to put some waves in it. I resent it to GTL to get it back to its beauty but my questions are:
Is any of the repop drip rail trim worth trying? Even for practice?

any new suggestions on how to reinstall it? I shaved the paint down and tried wd 40 and soap. Anyone try the can opener or have any pearls of wisdom?

Note to anyone doing this: don’t use anything on the face of the drip rail or you will regret it. I tried tapping it on the side with a roll of painters tape and that’s all it took to screw it up.

thanks in advance
Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hey all
Despite researching how to put drip rail trim on that was restored by George Lucas, I managed to put some waves in it. I resent it to GTL to get it back to its beauty but my questions are:
Is any of the repop drip rail trim worth trying? Even for practice?

any new suggestions on how to reinstall it? I shaved the paint down and tried wd 40 and soap. Anyone try the can opener or have any pearls of wisdom?

Note to anyone doing this: don’t use anything on the face of the drip rail or you will regret it. I tried tapping it on the side with a roll of painters tape and that’s all it took to screw it up.

thanks in advance
Steve

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The paint build up may be the problem. I suspect the reproductions are styled after the NOS drip rail moldings. If you don't have the crimp roller tool they are useless. I heard people glue them on ? I haven't seen the repro's profile up close. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put the repops on with no problem. Started in the front and worked my way to the back. Just use my fingers to snap on. Didn't shave any of the paint on. My originals got destroyed by the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys
What is the crimp roller tool and yes, I’d also like to know what repop brand? Trim parts?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have never seen the crimp roller tool. Works like a can opener on rollers instead of opening though it will crimp and seal. I doubt the tool is made today

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have to install drip rail molding and have been dreading it. Anyone got a photo of the crimp roller tool? I've never heard of or seen one.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
riverboatman,,,,, i can't help you on the picture but i'll call an old friend that used to put cars together at fisher body. i'll ask about one, maybe an i say maybe he has one or atlest can discribe the design.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
okay i just got off the phone from talking with him. no he doesn't have the tool. but said they made the tool at the factory to do the job. maybe by the plant tool makers. but he is going to draw up a picture an send to my phone. these weren't chevy he was doing but he did say olds 442. it's hard to understand a design over the phone but it didn't roll, sounded more like down pressure from the tool an just made a single slide down the drip rail trim. give me a few days to get a picture of this tool.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The tool is not needed if your dealing with previously installed GM drip rail mouldings. You should be able to carefully install by hand.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The profile picture shows the difference. NOS GM on the left. Factory installed used on the right. Both edges upper and lower end up being crimped over tight.
feb 14 2020 005.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts