1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a long time ago, there were a few made, possibly in 67
has anyone ever heard of one? I could swear it was the 396/375

Steve

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
No factory installed big blocks in the '66-'67 Nova. Even in '68 they were only available in the Nova late in the model year.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yeah, that's got to be a mistake. That's like a factory V8 Vega, only with an LT-1. The reason GM stated for changing the bodystyle drastically from 67 to 68 was to accomodate a BB at some point. And that was late '68.

rob

·
Registered
818 Posts
There were not V8 Vegas in the true sense, but there where V8 Monzas, Sunbirds and Starfires which are basically the same car.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have a BB '68!:D
Not original though:(

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
In 1981 I saw an very original looking 67 Nova with a 396 powerglide and 12 bolt. It was an SS and green inside and out. 396 Fender flags etc. The old lady that owned it didnt say much besides the fact her husband bought it in 1970. Not for sale of course.
A freind of mine that worked at Raines Chevrolet in Cupertino thinks it was a dealer installed deal. He remembered a few of them in late 1967.
My old Chiltons manual shows timing specs for a 67 Nova with a 396.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Most likely a dealer install..

U can buy a oilpan, pickup and oilpump with shorter shaft to a Sb engine for the 1 and 2 gen nova from GM..

IF GM had this option it would be possible to find these parts for a BB install, but Ive never heard of that..

Besides the early Nova´s aint fun driving on a curvy road with a BB up infront..fishtailing all time..

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I can't imagine the dealers cutting the shock towers to install an engine. Making your own manifold to do this swap without cutting the towers is not something a dealership would do either.

Reactions: kwhizz

·
Registered
330 Posts
there was not a factory V8 Vega ?

Later NeoNova
Many years ago at the St. Ignace Michigan show, I saw a V8 Vega that was an factory experimental car. Had all the GM experimental stickers, etc. It even had factory air!

IIRC, it was a gold hatchback. The installation of the small block looked just as if it had come from the factory. Very cool! The owner knew he had something real rare.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Even in '68 they were only available in the Nova late in the model year.
March 68 was kinda late!

He who got the first one!!!!!!

Owner: Grumpy Jenkins, Malvern , PA

Built: 11?

Body: No. ?

Trim: 733

Paint: C-2

VIN #: 114278W215410

Sold new @ Ed Rinke Chevrolet Co.

26125 Van Dyke Ave

Center Line MI

Sold on 3-11-68

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
72Novassman

Ill stick my neck out here:
Approx 15 + years ago I seen a article in a magazine that talked about 8 - 2nd gen nova w/ 396 that were produced.
This doesnt mean it happened or what they printed was true. I believe it was a super chevy magazine??? and it had a list of the qty of produced novas with different motors in it.
My grandpa used to say IT must be true it was there in Black and White!:D

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
March 68 was kinda late!

He who got the first one!!!!!!

Owner: Grumpy Jenkins, Malvern , PA

Built: 11?

Body: No. ?

Trim: 733

Paint: C-2

VIN #: 114278W215410

Sold new @ Ed Rinke Chevrolet Co.

26125 Van Dyke Ave

Center Line MI

Sold on 3-11-68

The Grumps 68 was an L79 car. 327 CU. The BBC 68's were april and later. The 50 Copo BBC 68 were started in July and were COPO because of the TH400 .

Tommy :)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I can't imagine the dealers cutting the shock towers to install an engine. Making your own manifold to do this swap without cutting the towers is not something a dealership would do either.
I'm with you Carl. I don't believe a dealer would do some cutting on a car to stick an engine in it that was not engineered for that car (I mean the physical size difference).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read a long time ago, there were a few made, possibly in 67
has anyone ever heard of one? I could swear it was the 396/375

Steve
I recently sold the only Nova that ran in the TranAm series in the 60s (a '66 hardtop), and every time I yanked the (small block) engine out and reinstalled it I said, "Surely -to-god they didn't originally design these cars for this engine." A big block? No way.

Rick

·
Registered
212 Posts
I recently sold the only Nova that ran in the TranAm series in the 60s (a '66 hardtop), and every time I yanked the (small block) engine out and reinstalled it I said, "Surely -to-god they didn't originally design these cars for this engine." A big block? No way.

Rick

Wow I think that is my exact quote every time I had to do that too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
72Novassman

Ill stick my neck out here:
Approx 15 + years ago I seen a article in a magazine that talked about 8 - 2nd gen nova w/ 396 that were produced.
This doesnt mean it happened or what they printed was true. I believe it was a super chevy magazine??? and it had a list of the qty of produced novas with different motors in it.
My grandpa used to say IT must be true it was there in Black and White!:D
Actually I think the article is older or maybe a different mag.i saw an article in super chevy or popular hot rodding.I know it is true because I bet a guy a hundred bucks and showed him.hardly any info on them
.a guy in my city is building one off the factory specs.thats about all I know on them.

·
13,442 Posts
Can't imagine factory big blocks in the weak bodied 66/67 Chevy II, especially hardtops. Even the L79 twists the body enough that cracks frequently appear at the top and bottom of the A pillars.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts