Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the width of a 66 or 7 12 bolt bare housing from outside flange to flange. Does someone have one they can measure for me? I have an Impala 12 bolt I am cutting down and chassis shop needs dimensions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My problem is that the chassis guy has my bare Impala housing with no backing plates so I am looking for flange to flange rather than backing plate to backing plate if that makes sense.

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is curious. My original untouched 66 Nova 12 bolt measures 52 3/16" backing plate mounting surface to surface. AKA flange to flange. Nova Resource linked above shows dimension B as 50 3/4". What gives??
20200630_195233.jpg

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
My problem is that the chassis guy has my bare Impala housing with no backing plates so I am looking for flange to flange rather than backing plate to backing plate if that makes sense.
The backing plate bolts to the flange and it's about 1/16" thick so this measurement should be pretty close. Have you measured the original rear axle housing from your car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buccflyer: That is what I am looking for. I knew that the backing plates were going to throw the measurement off. Thanks for the picture!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe wheel flange to wheel flange is 57.75"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this project for anyone interested. Just talked to the guy narrowing the housing and if you want to use stock housing ends and Chevy2 drum brakes you will need housing ends from a Nova, Chevelle, or Camaro. 10 or 12 bolt will work. Impala has a different pattern to bolt backing plate to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the Impala uses big brakes. I used a Impala rearend in my car, narrowed the housing and used these housing ends

and new axles with pressed on ford bearings, no C-clip eliminator needed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is curious. My original untouched 66 Nova 12 bolt measures 52 3/16" backing plate mounting surface to surface. AKA flange to flange. Nova Resource linked above shows dimension B as 50 3/4". What gives??
View attachment 406546
The dimension Nova Resource gives is with the backing plate on the housing, the bulges and shape of the backing plate make it's outer edge sticks back further towards the center than the mounting flange is....it is strictly for checking clearance to a frame rail or suspension arm, or for identifying a rear under a car in the scrap yard.
Don't use that dimension for any narrowing measurement of the housing itself.

You'd be surprised how many guys come on a forum and want backing plate to backing plate measurements though, just so they can I.D. what they've found without tearing it apart or jacking it up and pulling the wheels off something in a scrap yard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts