Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone
A year ago I finished up my first resto. project - an 87 Monte Carlo SS. I said I would never do another one but it didn't take long to get the 'bug' again.
I've always loved the Chevy II Nova with my favorite being the 66 model year - so always up for a challenge I decided, after seeing so many beautiful Novas at car shows and on this site, that I wanted to do something a little different - and so the 'Granny Grocery Getter' project was born.
Along came the perfect car. A 4 door 66 Chevy II Nova - original rust, ripped seats, sagging headliner, and a beautiful patina that you just can't buy! It's a complete car with solid subframe. It will need new floor pans and trunk patches but thats all part of the challenge. I can do all these things myself ( with a little help from my buddies ).

What you see in the pictures is what the finished project will look like - except what you can't see is a complete upgrade on the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, muffler and tires. I want to be able to pop the hood and show a highly detailed engine bay with a gleaming small block v8 power plant inside.

My question to all of you Nova experts on this site is can I make this happen? I understand the costs involved and my budget over the next couple of years would be in the $10,000 to $12,000 range.
My objective is to have a fun/safe vehicle to drive with the power I want and have that ultimate sleeper look!
Any opinions/suggestions/ideas are welcome. I'm going to have lots of questions in the next while. MD Great site!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like the car, looks like a great project!

I did notice that the shock towers are not stock, and the firewall is the same color as the body. Is that normal? I haven't seen a Nova with the firewall painted the same color as the body.

DW.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've never seen shock towers like that. I'm anxious to hear what the experts say.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
I like the car, looks like a great project!

I did notice that the shock towers are not stock, and the firewall is the same color as the body. Is that normal? I haven't seen a Nova with the firewall painted the same color as the body.

DW.
Don't know about the towers either......:confused:
'62 had body color firewall.... I've never seen a 2nd Gen. from the factory other than black......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you've got me thinking! - After a closer look I think we are dealing with a re-spray on the blue ( including the firewall ). Really don't know why they would do a cheapo re-paint on a 4 door and take off the whole front end ( unless there was damage from an accident )
Attached photos show pictures of the shock tower on my car and one of the stock tower. I really don't know why they would go to the trouble of changing out the tower. Closer inspection and they don't look custom made and are using the same bolt holes? Any one know what vehicle these shock towers are from ? Just curious. There are a couple of things that are little strange - like the early 1st generation tissue dispenser mounted under the dash. MD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car looks good! I just got a 66 more door also and thinking of doing a v8/sleeper too.
Not sure on the shock towers, but being a canadian nova the firewall probably came painted body colour stock. Both my 66 acadian 2 door and 4 door are that way. Good luck and have fun with your project!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
From one 66 moredoor owner to another, thank you for rescuing that car and seeing her true potential. I'll be following this project :D

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Nice project! What are the motor plans?
Here is my 4door sleeper project

The rumble of the big block is a dead give away if you know much about cars but sometimes I can pass it off as a 283 :D I had one guy tell me lastnight it was a hemi motor :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts