Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
13,685 Posts
did they make an L79 100 series?

Edit: Just googled it & looks like they did. Learned something!
You could order RPO L79 in any 1966 Chevy II model.
These ads are hilarious. The L79 was an engine, not a body.

Bob

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could order RPO L79 in any 1966 Chevy II model.
These ads are hilarious. The L79 was an engine, not a body.

Bob
I figured if anyone would know it'd be you! Don't guess I've ever seen a 100 series post car advertised as having l79 engine.

Anyway.. way too far gone for my time and money

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
Apparently had Flintstone transmission and brakes in it at one time.

Seriously though, no mention of the rear end. 12 bolt? It would be worth it just for that, an I couldn't bring myself to part it out, even as rough as it is. I could come up with A, not THE L-79 engine, trans and a shifter, but all of the other little things that would make it correct would be tough. For me, it would be all about how bad the cowl and rockers are, and if they are as bad as the floor, you're buying more rust and fresh air than steel.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Needs some body work :ROFLMAO:

Poor car...

·
Registered
577 Posts
i remember a red sedan with L-79 in Hemmings Muscle Machines quite awhile ago. it was pretty awesome, actually. cloth bench seat, too, if memory serves...

this poor thing is just so, so clapped-out.

-Rusty

·
13,685 Posts
i remember a red sedan with L-79 in Hemmings Muscle Machines quite awhile ago. it was pretty awesome, actually. cloth bench seat, too, if memory serves...
-Rusty
Probably the one below. Real deal. A similar red L79 2 door sedan was owned by Carl Riegger.

One step further and probably the rarest 2nd generation Acadian is this Invader L79 2 door sedan. Built with only 2 options...L79 and a radio. Has 3 on the tree standard transmission and the standard 12 bolt 3.07:1 open rear axle. Only 2 door sedan L79 Acadian known to exist.

Bob

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Two fantastic cars. Would love to own either (leaning towards the dark blue Acadian).

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
Agreed. I get the ordering on the 100 series L79 as a race car or even a sleeper, but there must be a story behind the Acadian. A few L79 cars were built with a 3-speed--column, of course--but I'd like to know why that was chosen, as that had to be an ordered car. I saw a '68 Biscayne once, still in the hands of the original owner, with a 427 in it and a 3-speed on the column. Why? He said he really wanted the 427, and after that option, ran out of money to afford anything else on it, so he got his engine, and everything else was bare bones.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
I saw a '68 Biscayne once, still in the hands of the original owner, with a 427 in it and a 3-speed on the column. Why? He said he really wanted the 427, and after that option, ran out of money to afford anything else on it, so he got his engine, and everything else was bare bones.
Hearing that is of real value, since 50+ years later we lose touch with the fact these were cars purchased by everyday people with jobs, families, responsibilities and budgets. These were not (normally) hobby purchases or investments. It was a big part of someone(s) life for a time.

When we part out a car I always try to picture the car as it was assembled, sitting on the lot, what the buyer might have been thinking; trying to put myself in that place and time. It's not as deep as it may sound. Basically give the car a little memorial since I am the end of the line of its 50+ year journey.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
There are quite a few '65-'66-'67-'68 big-block Biscayne 2-doors remaining in this area. They were the standard-issue Ohio State Highway Patrol cars of that era. As far as I know all were Turbo 400 cars (although a 4-speed or two may have sneaked in). As I remember, the '65s had 396 engines while later ones had 427s. Also, I'm pretty sure that most of them had some type of bucket seats in front - probably part of a 'police' package. I'd really like to have one to build as a Power-Tour car!

·
13,685 Posts
Agreed. I get the ordering on the 100 series L79 as a race car or even a sleeper, but there must be a story behind the Acadian. A few L79 cars were built with a 3-speed--column, of course--but I'd like to know why that was chosen, as that had to be an ordered car. I saw a '68 Biscayne once, still in the hands of the original owner, with a 427 in it and a 3-speed on the column. Why? He said he really wanted the 427, and after that option, ran out of money to afford anything else on it, so he got his engine, and everything else was bare bones.
More often than not, your last sentence is the reason the no extra charge 3 speed ended up in a Chevy II L79. The 4 speed was a $200 option on top of the $200 for RPO L79. Big bucks in 1966. Some buyers only had the money for the 2 door sedan with the L79 engine. Probably thought they would put a 4 speed in when they could afford it.

The original owner of the L79 Acadian is/was a member here, although he hasn't posted since selling the car a number of years ago. Interesting back story is that the car couldn't be GM Canada documented. A small portion of the 1966 GM Canada microfiche that contains all the info was damaged in a fire. This car was on that microfiche and the info was unreadable. As luck would have it, the POP was still with the car and the selling dealer in Ontario still had some info on it.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts