Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 Chevy II has this rear-end. Anyone seen this before? It has 5x4.5 lug spacing with these 3/4 or semi floating axles.

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
I'm going to guess Studebaker. I think it's the same wheel pattern, but with the accursed threaded axles. I'd say A body Mopar, but the wheel pattern is different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is one of the cover. Ill try to get more pics and any casting numbers this weekend. The "tag" bolted to the cover had nothing on it that I could tell, even after a good cleaning.
20201107_132747.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Another pic like that shot so we can se the front of the snout, from both sides so we can see the casting shape and rib pattern to help ID, but looking more like the Model 20....cover looks right for that.
Could be from Javelin, AMX, Hornet S/C, Rambler American ...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
With the bolt circle of 4.5” that narrows down the field. Ford, Mopar, AMC.
The threaded axles probably eliminates the Ford and Mopar options.

The width at the wheel mounting surfaces would be helpful..

I’d lean towards an AMC model 20 but I haven’t found any matches with the bolt circle.
A lot of Jeep applications but yours is probably for a passenger car.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
584 Posts
AMC 20 has a perfectly round cover, that one appears oval shaped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duzen't matter what it iz. Its time to move a few decades forward to 8.5-6, ford 8.8, etc
True. Stage two plans are for a 4 link and a 9", but was hoping to not have to buy something else as an "intermediate" in the meantime.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the stock 8.25 10 bolt out of my 65 Nova, for sale. I am upgrading to a narrowed 12 bolt.
Where are you located? Details? How much?
If that does prove to be an AMC Model 20....the 8.2" 1964-72 10-bolt is a step backwards in strength.
if what you have works for now, why change it when you plan to change to a 9" down the road....just live with what you have for now.

Other than the goofy 2-piece axles, the Model 20 centersection and gears is nearly equal to 12-bolt strength.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that does prove to be an AMC Model 20....the 8.2" 1964-72 10-bolt is a step backwards in strength.
if what you have works for now, why change it when you plan to change to a 9" down the road....just live with what you have for now.

Other than the goofy 2-piece axles, the Model 20 centersection and gears is nearly equal to 12-bolt strength.
Thanks. Thats great info and very helpful. Hopefully I can get some codes off the housing this weekend to verify it.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
amc 20 i would guess

1 - 17 of 17 Posts