Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just bought a 65 400 wagon...NO keys !!! how do I get the tailgate open and/or window (power) down? thanks in advance, Jim:confused:

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you disconnect the ignition switch from the back of the dash you can bypass it with a new switch and key. Also if you climb in the back of your wagon and remove the last trim panel on the drivers side near the tailgate, you'll find a connection you can disconnect and bypass the switch with 12 volts to lower the window....

Let us know.......... Roy Landgrave :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
If the locks havn't been changed, one key should fit all the locks. You can remove a door lock and have a key made off the code # on it . This worked on my '64.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still the tailgate

ok guys, I have gotten the tailgate inner panel off and the motor is on the rt. side. There are 7 wires going into the plug. Where do I hook power and were do I hook negative to make it go down.. then back up if needed??? I do not want to burn up the motor IF it is good.. Next...if the motor IS bad, how in the world do I get the glass down? thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can't get rear window down.

Have removed the motor from the window and still can't get the tailgate window down.. Have tapped on the window gears and still no movement!!! there is no sign of rust at all. It does still have some grease on it.. How in the heck do I get it down so I can open the gate ???????:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So, the window is up (in the channel), the electric motor is off the gears and the window still won't come down?

I say you might be stuck with removing the 6 or 7 bolts and allowing the gears to be free from the tailgate and then there is no reason the window wouldn't come down

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I think you're going to want to put the motor back in the regulator. As I recall, and it's been a couple of years, the regulator is spring loaded UP. Without the motor gear installed the regulator spring can violently move the regulator arms when they are released from the channel. Install the motor, remove the bolts that hold the regulator to the tailgate, and slide it out of the window channel. It can then be removed from the tailgate, and the window can also be removed once you get the gate open.

Rich

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
DANNO said:
Actually, the spring is under pressure when the window is down. See Larry's explanation: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/2779/tailgate.html

Dan (either way, watch your fingers):D
Correct Dan. The regulator is spring loaded UP. The lower the window is the more tension is on the spring. Same-same, guess I wasn't very clear. Without the motor (or a bolt) the regulator will continue up as it is released from the glass channel. And it will catch a finger or 2, don't ask how I know. :eek:

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got It Down & Opened

Long story with both window and gate, but all Is GOOD !!!!!! believe it or not, the gate is in great shape, the lower corners of the body channels did not fair quite so well,,,about a 1/2 dollor piece size hole on each side ( and for the Northern bretheren...this is about a 3/4" sorry did not convert to metric..hahahaha). hope to have car stripped by this Sunday to be ready to Carry and have soda blasted next week... wish us luck... man I am getting old !!!! a concours restro on a 65 wagon ????????? Jim & Lisa

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
That is Great to hear you got it opened and you are making progress :beer: .

If you get a chance take a couple of pictures if you can

I have to start my 63 wagon tailgate project very soon and know I might be opening up a can of worms.

novamaniac

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fingers ARE AOK

no cuts,scrapes,smashed fingers,etc.... unbolted the 4 7/16 bolts that hold the reg to the window, pulled down on the reg (boy that's a stiff spring) and had the wife work the glass down. Then, the rt latch was stuck !!!! back up with the glass to get at the latch spring,popped it off and BODDA BING we have openage !!!!!!
DANNO, any particular pic's requested?? areas, parts, b4,after,during??? This is/was a special find!!! doors...outer,under,inner...SPOTTLESS, rockers...SPOTTLESS, rubber molding around glass looks BRAND SPANK"N NEW !!! inderdash>>>FACTORY..oh, all lights,radio,winshield washer,fan,radio all work..just not that DA** rear window motor. and even still has the optic kleed bracket and jar !!!!:D

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
DANNO said:
Okay, I won't ask. :D But how are the fingers?;)

They are all good except the middle one on the right hand. When I make a fist it stays straight. :D

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts