Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
65 SS Project

I've been looking for a 65 SS for some time now. I've considered a 'project' car (like this one), or a completed car, which don't come up for sale often. Is there a consensus in this group as to whether, money wise, it makes more sense to buy a car that has had most of the work done, or to buy a project and oversee the project. There may be too many variables to give a short reply, but after owning a project 65 Malibu SS, and then buying a completed 69 Nova, finished cars may actually be less expensive . . .

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looks like a good start missing all the rocker trim and a few pieces are bent pretty good along with a piece missing on the back corner

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I've considered a 'project' car (like this one), or a completed car, which don't come up for sale often. Is there a consensus in this group as to whether, money wise, it makes more sense to buy a car that has had most of the work done, or to buy a project and oversee the project.... finished cars may actually be less expensive . . .

Mike S.
Tennessee
I've done both. A finished car IS less expensive, in the long run. Its the old saying" pay me now, or pay me later".

Building your own car can be very rewarding, and you get it exactly the way you want, especially if you have the shop, tools, resources, know-how, ect...

The key is to find a finished car that is close to what you really want, and not settle, or you wont be happy.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
good luck finding that rocker trim...you are probablly not....so that is something to consider

·
Registered
218 Posts
Trim, etc. . .

Thanks for the cautions. I think I'll keep looking. The more I think about what novavetteguy said, the more I think he's right . . . One of these days someone will put a nice '65 SS 4-speed up for sale, and then I'll get a big pile of cash together and buy it . . .

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Thanks for the cautions. I think I'll keep looking. The more I think about what novavetteguy said, the more I think he's right . . . One of these days someone will put a nice '65 SS 4-speed up for sale, and then I'll get a big pile of cash together and buy it . . .

Mike S.
Tennessee
I just sold my 65ss...1 month ago...everything there...fully restored

·
14,151 Posts
Other than the missing SS rocker trim, that '65 looks pretty good. The fender badges indicate it has the 140 HP 230 six cylinder.

Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Man, for a running/driving project car and a pretty rare 65 SS too boot, that's not a bad price if the body doesn't have too much hidden bondo or rust. Try and find another like it, they don't come up too often.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts