Chevy Nova Forum banner
621 - 640 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What filament are you using to print the brackets you've made? Are these just prototypes or are you using the printed parts?

Hawkeye

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
What filament are you using to print the brackets you've made? Are these just prototypes or are you using the printed parts?

Hawkeye
I use a different material depending on where its going/what its doing... most of the time i use the 3d printed part as a template, something to test fit with, or used as a tool.... but there are a few 3d printed pieces that could be left as is... that last piece was printed in ABS... typically I use nylon, abs, and polycarbonate... whether it was used to test fit or not...

also, I have a manual mill im converting to cnc (still havent put it together yet)... so a lot of times i print things to test the file and will be practicing on the cnc mill by re cutting them...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use a different material depending on where its going/what its doing... most of the time i use the 3d printed part as a template, something to test fit with, or used as a tool.... but there are a few 3d printed pieces that could be left as is... that last piece was printed in ABS... typically I use nylon, abs, and polycarbonate... whether it was used to test fit or not...

also, I have a manual mill im converting to cnc (still havent put it together yet)... so a lot of times i print things to test the file and will be practicing on the cnc mill by re cutting them...
Awesome. I recently bought a 3d printer to help with tools and maybe printing parts to be used on my 67. Do you have an enclosure that you use when printing with those materials? Do you havean any recommendations on filament brands and types? I watched a Teaching Tech video on YouTube where he made a new air box for his track car. He used ApolloX and seemed to have good results with it.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Awesome. I recently bought a 3d printer to help with tools and maybe printing parts to be used on my 67. Do you have an enclosure that you use when printing with those materials? Do you havean any recommendations on filament brands and types? I watched a Teaching Tech video on YouTube where he made a new air box for his track car. He used ApolloX and seemed to have good results with it.

Hawkeye
the printer I use is enclosed (XYZprinting DaVinci Pro 1.0, 3 in 1)... I have modified and upgraded it quite a bit, including the hotend/extruder setup and sealing the enclosure better... and I use simplify3d and not the slicer that the manufacturer developed (so that i can print with better parameters than the og software is capable of)... for the most part, I use polymaker filaments, occasionally i test out some other brands, but mostly stick with polymaker...

You could use pla if you were going to make temporary pieces or just playing around with the printer getting used to software/programming etc... but i started out using abs and polycarbonate, tauman3d tglase, nylon, etc. because the printing characteristics are different between filaments and i wanted to learn and dial in the settings for the material i use the most... but i use a different type of filament depending on whether it will be a useable part or if it is going to be used for a template (and re used, etc) and also where the part will be used...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #634 ·
not much more progress, but a little...

had an 8AN plug left over from something else, so tapped it for a 3/8 NPT vent filter... to finish the rollover valve outlet for the gas tank's catch can...

couldnt tap it all the way, because it would cut the threads off for the -8an side of the plug, so i made a cover for the exposed threads (wasnt necessary, but did it, since i was already playing with the lathe)...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
Got a little further along...
Instead of quick disconnects, I added two combo sensors (pressure/temp), one for the feed and one for return... so the lines are easy enough to disconnect if i need to...

wired it all up with deutsch connectors, etc...

also wired up the Input/Output Module, so I could have a decent amount of additional inputs and outputs. between the dash and that module, I have enough to add whatever I would need to for the rest of the build...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 · (Edited)
I am using -12AN line in this system. There is 8PSI on the feed side of the system (prior to the intercooler and 4PSI on the return/after, at around 12.5 volts (approx. voltage, while you are hearing the beeping). The difference between the two pressures is 4PSI, so I think this would be referred to as the "differential pressure"? Either way the pump flows extremely well (outperforms the other pumps in most tests/comparisons Ive seen) and is able to be controlled via PWM (working on that aspect of it now).

When the power is shut off the to pump, it has an internal timer that keeps the pump circulating automatically at a lower duty cycle for a period of time, havent timed it yet... but can time that later...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 · (Edited)
Tested using PWM to control the pump... everything is working correctly... lid to tank, doors and trunk are open... which is why everything is so loud... fairly quiet with everything closed... not sure how all this will cool, without a heat exchanger (for now)... but will test it and then add ice and re check...

table looks like this for now... not sure how it will be in the end... to decide what number to enter, subtract it from 100. so 100, would be off, or 0% duty cycle and 5 is 95% duty cycle. It is opposite because I had to use a resistor (pull up with 12 volts) to convert the neg PWM signal to positive for the pumps circuit to be able to receive the PWM signal...

621 - 640 of 642 Posts