Chevy Nova Forum banner

461 - 480 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 · (Edited)
made the hose using hose ends that are -10ORB on one side and 3/8 npt on the other, so i wouldnt have to use more than two fittings for this line... on the other end, used a 3/8 npt fitting to the -4an in case i need/want to increase the size of that line later... i think it should be fine with it, as im using a decent scavenge pump... wanted the line to be as small as possible

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
i never liked the coolant overflow/combo oil catch can i made... especially how much space it takes up... i had this coolant overflow tank (thats been sitting for about 8 years now), so decided to use it (was going to make another tank, but then remembered i had this and no other use for it)... put it in the pass. side fender area

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 · (Edited)
cut the coolant part off my tank and cleaned it up a little... was going to re weld the outside corners, but i just rounded them off a little for now... i actually welded 90% of the inside while i was making it (everything but the top). i welded the outside with "a little extra too", in case i wanted to smooth the welds out... its not going to hold pressure, but i put a few psi in it, no leaks as it sits....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
got enough of the down pipe done to locate and add the wideband/o2 bung... round to oval (basically 3.5" round tubing to what would be comparable to 3" tubing/ but oval)

still need to tuck the section after the vband up a little closer to the firewall and then need work on the rest of the exhaust going under the car...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
not the "prettiest"/nicest looking welds, first time (in this thread) im welding stainless... just doing the best i can do, cant afford to pay anyone to do these things for me, how i would like them... getting a little better, the more i practice... continued to back purge everything, good penetration and inside of welds look good also... added the o2/wideband sensor bung...

·
Registered
612 Posts
The only way to get better at stainless tig is by doing plenty of it. I can give you a couple of pointers. When you're welding always keep the end of your filler under the argon coverage. In other words don't dip your filler rod in the puddle and immediately pull it out from the argon coverage while the end is still molten red hot. It will oxidize the tip of the filler rod and when you dip back in the puddle it'll introduce "trash" or contaminates. It will equal grey dirty welds. Keep your torch over the welds after you stop so the argon continues to shield while your post flow continues. That's if you have post flow etc. It'll help the welds cool and keep nice color to your welds. Most people literally burn up stainless by not keeping it cool and keeping proper shielding gas coverage both inside and out. I love checking out your progress and I think you're doing a way above average build. I can do all the welding and fabrication but having the know how and ability to research and source stuff is as valuable a skill as laying down a good bead. I wish I had half your ability. I'd love to learn more about 3D printing in layman's terms so I could make some cool one off stuff like you've done. Keep up the bad a$$ work and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
The only way to get better at stainless tig is by doing plenty of it. I can give you a couple of pointers...
thank you for the positive words and advice... its definitely getting a bit easier the more seat time i get... as far as 3d printing etc... once you get into it, you will pick it up pretty quick... i go into 3d printing to be able to print parts, before trying to cnc/mill them etc and then started making parts that could be used, if i never got around to putting together my mill... pretty close to sitting down and finishing that project also... if you get into 3d printing and need help etc, while you get started, ill help advise where i can.... i think its one of those things that can be a little intimidating in the beginning, but i believe things pick up speed pretty fast... i had to upgrade my machine a bit, but once i did, was still very cost effective vs a comparable machine (as far as the capabilities)... but, the better the machine you can start off with, the easier working out the bugs, if any and getting things pretty consistent, will be...

·
Registered
74 Posts
i never liked the coolant overflow/combo oil catch can i made... especially how much space it takes up... i had this coolant overflow tank (thats been sitting for about 8 years now), so decided to use it (was going to make another tank, but then remembered i had this and no other use for it)... put it in the pass. side fender area

Is that a plastic tank? Do you remember where you got it?

Hawkeye

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Is that a plastic tank? Do you remember where you got it?

Hawkeye
the one im using for coolant overflow, yes... i def bought it from summit, but was so long ago i dont remember the brand etc. may have been summit or jaz... but when i went to try to find out which one it was, i couldnt find it. i noticed they had some that were similar (Jaz, ect)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 · (Edited)
still need to be able to adjust and move things around, when trying to align it., so i moved the trans cooler to under the pass seat of the floor pan, fittings were too close to the driveshaft for me to be comfortable...

the clips on the turbo blanket are the larger style, but the springs to secure them, dont fit over them... so i used some cheap stainless fish jigging rings (had to bore them out a little and then put the together like a key ring... there are three capstan clips... makes it easy to take off, etc... each ring snaps into one of the capstan fasteners...

461 - 480 of 539 Posts