Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a easy way to fix the play in the Manuel steering boxes? I hate the play that my 65 Nova has in it, especially when I take it out on the freeway, makes me feel like I'm steering a ship.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
on the top of the box is a stud & jamb nut. loosen the nut while holding the stud with a screwdriver. while you have someone wiggle the wheel, only slightly within the freeplay, adjust the screw 1/4 turn... no more.

if that doesn't completely adjust the box... it needs rebuilding (more than likely)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. I'll give it a shot. If it does need a rebuild anybody know who does it or would I have better luck just looking for a used one?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
take a look at it first... the steering gear, in my opinion, is a very overlooked item on our cars. if the stud is OUT of the jamb nut by, say, 1/8" it's very likely it's never been adjusted... you should have no problems adjusting it. if you see the stud is flush with the jamb nut... well that means it's been adjusted before and has excessive wear.

take a look, first... this is basically a ten minute job. real REAL easy to do. a wrench and a screwdriver and POW you're done.

just make sure... no more than 1/4 of a turn (or less)
repeating... no more than the 1/4 turn. ;)

make sure you wiggle the wheel. this places clearance between the worm & sector to make the adjusting easier. if you adjust it more than recommended the worm is driven into the sector shaft too far and extreme wear will occur... no more than 1/4 turn. ;)

watch the pitman arm as the wheel is wiggled. you want to see no real movement, just microscopic movement while adjusting.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
take a real good look at the idler arm & all steering linkage... loose idler will cause the same effect as a loose steering gear. best to determine exactly where/what the issue is before adjusting the steering box...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
take a real good look at the idler arm & all steering linkage... loose idler will cause the same effect as a loose steering gear. best to determine exactly where/what the issue is before adjusting the steering box...
Yeah I already switched out the idle arm with an extra one I had with no change. So I loosen the nut, wiggle the steering wheel a little to the left and right and then a 1/4 turn with a screwdriver and boom I'm done. Sounds easy enough. Thanks so much for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts