Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what the experts have to say.... I've got a set of 65 SS bucket seats. They are in very rough shape, but seem to be complete with the trim, frame, tracks, etc. Everything is pretty rusty, but the tracks move. I've decided not to use them and am curious if they're worth much. Seems like maybe a one year seat?

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
Good shape with tracks $450 - $650. Recovered in a popular color and ready to install, over $1K. Demand is not what it used to be on the '65 seats.

The question is though, how rusty? Are the frames rotted? All the springs need to be replaced? Chrome hockey stick badly pitted? I had a real pair w/ tracks that looked like they came from the bottom of the ocean. Terrible shape. I think they went in the $150 - $200 range.

It is a one year seat in the Nova. The general structure was also used in a couple other GM cars. Everything but the frames is now reproduced.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I’ve heard that they are a one year seat as well but I’m skeptical.. I find it hard to believe that GM made these unicorns for a one year model as an optional seat.. The only way to know for sure is to compare them to other GM seats of the era.. I’m curious but I don’t have any 65 seat specs to work with to compare to the other seat frames that I have on hand. The bucket seat cars made in 65 would probably be a pretty low production number as the 65 model was the lowest production number of the 1st gen models and more models were bench seat standard equipment.. Wagons, 2&4 door sedans, and hardtops were all standard bench seat models. SS cars got buckets and hardtops that were ordered with buckets would be the only cars that would have gotten these seats.. I’ve heard that the 65 bucket seats are supposed to be narrower then other GM bucket seats..

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
The 65 bucket is unique to the 1965 Nova SS in the Chevy II product line, it is not a one line only seat design for GM. Its core structure was used by other GM vehicles. Its combination of parts make it a bit of a unicorn, but like a special order pizza - pulling from on-hand ingredients to make something unique.

We have been able to confirm this following the parts number trail for seat components. Lord knows how much time is spent tracing part numbers and supersedes in GM literature to figure out interchanges or parts lineage. Turns into a whole Da Vinci Code thing with GM on some stuff :rolleyes:

We have also performed numerous comparisons with GM seats and all Nova buckets from 1962 - 67. The '65 Nova bucket is narrower than all other Nova seats, as well as all B & Z body seats we have had in our possession. The real big C & E body cars I don't think ever used a seat this small.

The seat production run in the Nova SS for '65 was under 10K going by available numbers. Many of those seats got tossed or have since rotted away. You don't see actual complete Nova ones terribly often, but they are of course out there.

Reactions: LSCustoms

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 65 bucket is unique to the 1965 Nova SS in the Chevy II product line, it is not a one line only seat design for GM. Its core structure was used by other GM vehicles. Its combination of parts make it a bit of a unicorn, but like a special order pizza - pulling from on-hand ingredients to make something unique.

We have been able to confirm this following the parts number trail for seat components. Lord knows how much time is spent tracing part numbers and supersedes in GM literature to figure out interchanges or parts lineage. Turns into a whole Da Vinci Code thing with GM on some stuff :rolleyes:

We have also performed numerous comparisons with GM seats and all Nova buckets from 1962 - 67. The '65 Nova bucket is narrower than all other Nova seats, as well as all B & Z body seats we have had in our possession. The real big C & E body cars I don't think ever used a seat this small.

The seat production run in the Nova SS for '65 was under 10K going by available numbers. Many of those seats got tossed or have since rotted away. You don't see actual complete Nova ones terribly often, but they are of course out there.

·
13,804 Posts
Southbays2 is correct. The '65 bucket seats were not an option. They were standard equipment in the SS and not available for any other model. They were unique to the '65 SS along with just about everything else, except the basic body. Even the roof design of sedan models was '65 only. GM was notorious for designing things that would only live for a year. Compare the '57, '58 and '59 full size Chevrolets. The 1965 Nova SS had many components never to see the light of day again, because of a complete car redesign in 1966. Even the '65 console didn't make into the '66, because it was too long for cars with a/c.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts