Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Okay this is a good shot of how I cut the inner ledge off the inside outer wheel wheel housing to make more tire room. Of course this gets patched in flush without that ledge.
View attachment 405296
In case anyone is wondering about this picture ??? I cut the inside lip out, it stuck out quite a ways into the wheel well. Yes I filled it in with metal and it looks all smooth now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I take it you are planning to use the Smith Racecraft Assassin bars??
The Split Mono springs by themselves aren't great for traction, you have to have some type of bar to make them work as designed.

By the way, absolutely nothing on Smith Racecraft's web site about any mono leaf spring??
These split mono leafs are not ones you purchase off the shelf.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

22 holes welded up plus a couple of rust spots cut and filled. I’ve got the one big round hole passenger side to fill tomorrow, then slop some filler (bondo) to smooth things out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
so 62-67's seem to rot out there, mine included. it stinks because it is such a structural spot with multiple layers coming together. why GM never addressed this...who knows. or was that what 1968 redesign all about?

way to keep at it!

-Rusty

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,490 Posts
J&E, I enjoy seeing the progress of your Chevy II. Thanks for taking the time to document... and post your build!
I'm sure the detailed photos that you have been posting will be very useful to others that may undertake a similar project.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Btw, J&E, I called and spoke to Kim at SmithRacecraft. Very knowledgeable, informative and nice. Still not sure how well the split monos work on the street and possible autocross.

Can you please post pics of the rear suspension once you are done moving the leafs and have the tank in place. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
so 62-67's seem to rot out there, mine included. it stinks because it is such a structural spot with multiple layers coming together. why GM never addressed this...who knows. or was that what 1968 redesign all about?

way to keep at it!

-Rusty
Thanks Bud.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
J&E, I enjoy seeing the progress of your Chevy II. Thanks for taking the time to document... and post your build!
I'm sure the detailed photos that you have been posting will be very useful to others that may undertake a similar project.
Thanks Rif Raf I like posting all of this stuff because I myself use other peoples pictures and ideas as well to figure things out. I live in a rural area and really don't know anyone that has stuff like I have been building to talk to or look at stuff to see how things are done. When I lived in So Cal it wasn't a problem seeing all this stuff to compare things to. I just finished a 64 C10 build and put the whole thing on my Instagram post as well. #Birch_Motor_Cars . I have posts on the Nova there as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Btw, J&E, I called and spoke to Kim at SmithRacecraft. Very knowledgeable, informative and nice. Still not sure how well the split monos work on the street and possible autocross.

Can you please post pics of the rear suspension once you are done moving the leafs and have the tank in place. Thanks
Yes Captain I will, I have been slowly working on smoothing the firewall out. I will be moving to the interior of the car next. Im going to cote the floors with Rustolium oil biased paint then start on the rear suspension. I will post everything I do. Thanks for watching. You can also follow me on Instagram @Birch_Motor_Cars I post everything there as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I got the last two big holes welded up (fan motor and the windshield wiper motor). Second layer of filler applied, looking good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
First coat of filler primer on this morning. Not to bad, It looks like I’ve only got a few little spots to to smooth out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
This is the trunk all sealed up. The patches are from where the rear leaf springs came up through the floor when the rear frame rails rotted out. Rust-Oleum sealer next.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Rear glass channels look good as well. One little area on the trunk channel is questionable but I think the new trunk weatherstripping will cover it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This by far was the nastiest thing yet. I scraped all the felt like stuff from the underside of the roof. We are not running a headliner it will be detailed nice and painted.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts