Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my new wheels and tires on my 65. Noticed that the passenger side rear tire has about 1/2 inch clearance in the wheel well. The driver side has only about a 1/16 inch clearance. Is there a way to align the rearend to even out the spacing?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You can try loosening up the axle mounts and shift the axle over a bit.. It’s a fairly minimal amount you’re trying to equalize so it should be possible..

·
Registered
791 Posts
My 65 is not centered either. Diff would need to be moved over 3/8" to have equal spacing to the sheet metal but when I stringline it to the front wheels it is centered in the car. The sheet metal is the problem so you may want to do a 4 wheel alignment to verify your diff is the problem. If it's for tire clearance you could put a wheel spacer on one side. No one except you will ever know you took a shortcut.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It is possible that the sheet metal could be off and that the axle is correctly located.. This is not uncommon..

My 64 was tighter in the passenger side outer wheel house. It had been repaired in a previous life.. I massaged it out a little bit and gained the clearance I needed..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for all the responses. I'll have to try them one at a time. Just need a little more clearance on the driver's side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts