Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only post this because of the wheel covers. Some early GM factory photos of the '65 Nova SS show the car with 1964 Impala SS/Chevelle SS wheel covers. Some articles say very early production '65 super sports had them. They don't show in any brochures or post production introduction material, so I don't know if it happened. The car below is not a super sport, but the owner has put on '64 Impala/Chevelle SS wheel covers. Anybody have any additional info on this?

Bob

Attachments

·
13,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Nova in your black and white image has a very elegant look.. Very classy..
I think they looked great on the Nova '65 SS, too. I bought a set of these and restored them for my '63 Nova SS convertible, but somehow they just didn't look right on that car. They're much bigger than the regular '63-'65 SS wheel covers. None of the wheel rim around the edges is visible. Never even took any pictures of them. I always thought they looked good on the '64 Impala and Malibu super sports, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
They look like they belong on the '65 as well, but for some reason, I never associate them with a '65 SS, only the other kind.

As for the picture, I notice two things. Hard to be certain, but I'll bet that the image has been squeezed or manipulated somehow to make the car look wider, longer and lower. It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer, and certainly GM, did this for a promo photo or illustration in their media. The quarter view also makes them look both longer and wider, and for a '60's car, more elegant as Joe stated. But would any of us be happy with that fender to door gap, and the seemingly much narrower one at the rear edge of the door at the quarter? Cars are still often very massaged for factory photos, but this one looks a little gappy there.

·
13,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somewhere I have a color picture that I believe is the same car and setting. The picture shows the rear cove in body color, not argent. Impossible to know how long before actual production these photos might have been taken.

Bob

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
From a photographic standpoint, this picture was taken with a longer focal length lens from a good distance away from the subject 65 Nova. What this does is compress the depth of field slightly.. A skilled photographer can or could do a lot of things with the tools he had to capture an image on film. Today with the advent of digital imaging and photgraphic software you have an instant picture to look at and if it looks acceptable the manipulation can take place in the photoshop software in pre-production..

But for me I like the body lines of these cars and capturing the flow of the roofline and rear quarter panel line flowing with a similar forward angle creates visual energy. 62,3,&4 also have the cut back angle in the front grill and bumper..
9D5D9885-8309-425A-BEB8-CF730492BDDE.png
06F4936B-7AAC-4AE4-BBEF-FFD66E049EF8.png
9B21CD88-0CE6-4E0A-8750-1FC46AAAC892.png

1 - 6 of 6 Posts