Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a new wiper motor in the near future and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in removing the 4 cog gear that drives the washer pump. There is no set screw as I can see so I have to assume it is pressed on.

Sure could use some step by step instructions on how to get this job done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely someone has replaced their wiper motor and has taken that gear off. :yes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I found heating this up with a propane torch and then wiggling it back and forth with a pair of tongue and groove (Channel-lock) pliers to be the ticket to getting it off. Soak it with penetrating fluid also.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I can't help you. I ended up finding a motor with the gear already attached.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gear I was talking about is the 4 pointed gear shown in the photo. The gear is made of metal. There is no set screw or
anything that looks like it retains the gear on the shaft so it's apparent the gear is pressed onto the shaft. Nobody every said
that was how it is attached so, for the sake of time, I just bought a rebuilt motor on eBay with the gear already installed. I don't
see any with the gears attached now so there has to be a way of moving that gear from one motor to another. A small puller
might work well or the way NovaCain suggested. Makes me wonder why the sellers of the motors do not install those gears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If a gear puller or bearing separator can’t get under the gear, seems a guy could tack weld a piece of steel to the face of the gear and set it in the press. After pressing it off, cut your tack welds and press your gear on the new one. Steel doesn’t need to be fancy, just stiff enough to resist bending under press pressure (3/16 or 1/4 angle iron).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts