Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a chart on the internet that shows the different color paints that were available for the '65 Nova and it appears that the Regal Red paint is offered by Dupont 4625LH, Sherwin Williams 9581, and Ditzler PPG 71472. What I haven't been able to find is which type paint was used. Was it enamel or lacquer? I really would like to know what type of paint was original and if anyone has been able to find it. I do not want to paint my car with the new type paint and a clear coat of any type. I am ready to buy paint but don't know exactly what it is that I need to buy. My car was originally a beige color which will be completely stripped off so I'll be repainting the whole car. Any help as to how many gallons/quarts I will need to purchase will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
For the most part, GM used Nitro-cellulose Lacquer, which is probably not available anymore due to EPA regs.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Also wondering the same things, good topic riverboatman :yes:

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
I don't know why every seems to think you can't buy or shoot lacquer anymore? Most of the GM acrylic lacquer paints are still available. I just had some touch-up done work to my Mist Blue '65 and had no problem finding a shop to shoot it.

GM began switching from nitrocellulose lacquer to the newer Dupont and Ditzler acrylic lacquers in the 1950's because of durability problems (UV resistance).

I'm pretty sure that by 1959, all GM cars were sprayed with acrylic lacquer. I believe Ford and Chrysler were both using enamel by that time but GM stuck with the lacquer because of it's high gloss and fast drying time.

Nitrocellulose paint is next to impossible to find now days but a lot of the automotive acrylic lacquers are still available.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rspaclac.aspx?gclid=COKdg5Dn57ICFQaFnQodq3wA-A

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to beat a nice lacquer paint job.

And if you are going for a truly original restoration it's essential.
I guess the Lacquer and enamel is what is considered to be a one-stage and the other with the clear coat is a two-stage, huh? Back in the late '60s I had a friend that had a '57 2 door HT Bel-Air that was painted with black lacquer and it was like a mirror when you stood by his car.

I have pretty much made up my mind that Regal Red Lacquer is what I'm going with and was hoping that was what GM was using in '65. Nice RED cars have always been my passion.

My car will never be a truly original restoration as I have waited rather late in life (65 years old) to start sinking that kind of money into it. And besides, it was an automatic and I've got everything for a 4-speed now, so that's the way I'm going.

Thanks for all the info guys, you've come through for me again!! :yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts