Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
65 Nova Owners Society "where the elite meet"

Since we've been talking about 65 parts i felt compelled to start are own 65 nova owners thread.After all we are a special breed.......... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
yeah, i think we got the short end of the stick...hardly any repro parts. and GOODLUCK finding a back glass for a 65 post car...good grief. no repro grills, nothing. wow. are we a special breed, or unlucky?
I LOVE MINE!!!!! despite all of the downfalls to owning a 65.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wskaiser,is your 5 a factory air car with a 65 4spd console? Does it clear the ac box? I've been told they hit the ac.Mine has the factory installed ac unit with 66-67 console.Anyone know the story with this? Mine is not a factory air or 4spd 65.Orig 283 spd 12bolt car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As hard as a 65 hardtop is to restore, a sedan is even harder! We had to modify new hardtop quarters to fit mine(the C-pillar is different) Not to mention the rear glass, decklid, eyebrows, bezels, grille, taillights, front bumper, bezels, hood diecast, interior, dash knobs, etc... Oh well, nothing worthwhile is ever easy!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
GLUCAS said:
wskaiser,is your 5 a factory air car with a 65 4spd console? Does it clear the ac box? I've been told they hit the ac.Mine has the factory installed ac unit with 66-67 console.Anyone know the story with this? Mine is not a factory air or 4spd 65.Orig 283 spd 12bolt car.
Yes it is a factory air with factory console 4 speed. It clears by about 1/2 inch. I bought it from the original owner and he saw it before the dealer did. He saw it on the rail car before the dealer even knew it was there. Some people say that there were no factory air 4 speed consoles but believe me there are. There were more dealer installed air than factory air but this was factory installed. If you have access to an owners manual they show pictures of both factory and dealer installed units and there is a slight difference. I don't know about clearance issues with the dealer installed air and console but there are none with the factory stuff.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Love those 65'S

Here is a different look at mine.

I don't have the AC but do have the original 65 Console. I'll measure a clearance to the dash for you. Maybe that will help. I heard that the AC will clear; but the console needs to be removed to take the AC unit in and out. That was a pain so the console was changed for 66.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Greg McMillan said:
Here is a different look at mine.

I don't have the AC but do have the original 65 Console. I'll measure a clearance to the dash for you. Maybe that will help. I heard that the AC will clear; but the console needs to be removed to take the AC unit in and out. That was a pain so the console was changed for 66.
Yes the console would have to come out before the ac could be removed since it tucks up under the unit but it is not a problem to pull the console. I have pulled the console with the seats in the car but it is easier if they are out of the way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all, Although I am not new to the hobby, I have a restoration shop and have been restoring muscle cars and antiques with the occaisional hot rod and custom for 30 years, You people hit it right on the money. It seems there are not too many parts available for the lonley 65. I have had mine for about 4 weeks now and it`s going through a minor restoration as it will be a daily summer driver. It`s almost readt for paint. I`m using a 307 completly rebuilt with flat tops and a mild cam with an Edelbrock intake and a 600 Holley. Backed by a 4 speed trans and a 3:50 rear gear 10 bolt posi. I know it wont be a powerhouse like my 32 Ford 3 window but it will still get out of it`s own way I`m sure. This is a nice site to be on, I have met a few of you and have purchased a few parts from members on this site. If I can figure out how to post pix I can share the progress of the 65 with all who may be interested. It wont be a 100 point car but thats what I want to build at this time..A driver. Thanks again for this great site.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
65's are hard to keep original

I have my own creedo about my 65. I have got some real cosmetics to fix on it before I would ever take it to a car show. However, I will work out the bugs on the motor and trans swap first.
When I get arounfd to the body work and paint , the car may end up looking more custom than original, but so be it.
I will keep it in the "theme of the era" and have fun driving the hell out of it.
I will NOT WORRY about some jerk snagging my "eyebrows" when I am not looking, just because they are worth ludicrous prices. :cool:

·
4,534 Posts
So is this like a support group? Hi my name is Miles and I own a 65 Chevy II...

Hey I do have 2 65 ONLY trunk diecast trunk pannels up on ebay right now. I decided to shave mine and had an extra.

I'm having a hell of a tim installing my rear bumper. I think these brackets are bent! It is an aftermarket bumper also soit could just be that... Someone should make a custom billet grille for the 65. That would be trick. The trouble would be mateing it to the eyebrow mouldings.

Oh well another thing to dwell on while looking at my car :(

I didn't know 65 was a 1 year car for some stuff when I started this project and by the time I realized it it was too late ;) . I too have the 65 2dr sedan, the good news is it had the rear window with it :D.

Miles :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Miles,i'd have to see how bad that scrape in your grille is in person to see if i can fix it.I'm looking for a 65ss lf rear w/o mldg.Any of you five guys have any leads? One yr ss only trim. Another old repop part discontinued 15 yrs ago. :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey Keez 65 2+2,

That 55 or 56 Chevy trim touch on the rear door looks cool. Never saw that before. Really looks nice with the two tone!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have the repo bumper on the back of my 65 that I got form J&W. I'm using the original braces though and didn't seem to have much of a problem. I was actually surprised how well it fit and looked considereing how much trouble I have had with repo stuff.

·
4,534 Posts
The car had no rear bumper on it when I got it and when I finaly got it on one side twists up splightly and the other side sits lower. I think my brackets are bent :( . Oh well I got it shimmed slightly for now and will have to play w/them some more or get some other brackets. The bumpers were in plain brown boxes and came w/the car so I have no idea who made them. They look ok (for repro). I will use them for now until I find something better.

Miles :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
WSKAISER,

Us 65 guy's are definately a rare breed! We just have a strong need to be different! Maybe gluttons for punishment too! Speaking of which your 65 sounds like a beauty and very rare. Any pictures available?

1 - 20 of 217 Posts