Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 Chevy ii manual steering gear has some play in it, I would like to rebuild it if I can. Otherwise, is there a good replacement for the original manual steering box?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
i'm not sure if a 65 is the same as a 66. you can take some play out by the adjusting nut on the top center. losen the nut an turn the screw an retighten. a little bit goes a long way, maybe a 1/4 turn at a time. also while your at that check the grease inside. lower of the 3 bolts thinking a 5/16''. remove an check with a pipe cleaner.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Yes you can have it rebuilt, exchanged for a remanufactor one or do like so many have done convert to power steering. The amount of time that it take to remove the box with the steering shaft is crazy. I went with the Borgeson conversion kit and am very happy. It steers firmly, one finger turns and stright as an arrow. Try what Redrider suggested first it might take care of the issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
There's a procedure for adjusting the steering box, and it's in any of the service manuals. Same box, manual or power, from '62-'66, so there are a lot of interchangeable Chevy II boxes. '67 a different animal.

Two ways to go that are original. The first is to have the box rebuilt. Someone close to you might be able to do it, but I have had good luck with CJ Automotive, South Gate, CA. It's in the L.A. area. All they do is steering gears, and they did a Chevy II for me that was really great. All new bearings and races, and they check to see that your worm and sector are good. They also install new bushings and seals, and it's usually the bushings that cause the bulk of the slop.

Route 2 is to find a low (less than 100K?) steering box out of a Chevy II that was originally a power steering car. These steering boxes seem to not wear nearly as much with the power ram assisting the steering, and if the sector bushings are OK and you put some seals in it, you might be able to get an adjustment out of this box better than most used ones.

·
6,600 Posts
I had more play in my steering box than I wanted. There are two adjustments and I did both but was still not satisfied so I ordered a new box. The box I ordered was a little quicker ratio. I was able to install it with the engine in and the CBR header moved out of the way. The cover on the top of the box is thick compared to the factory one otherwise an exact copy. I had to grind a little clearance on the lid and was able to do it without removing the lid while the box was bolted on. Works excellent and with the new power steering ram and control valve the steering is like a new car. Don't remember the price but it was in the $300 range and no core needed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I adjusted the nut and it didn't help. It actually seemed worse.
How many clockwise turns did you give it? When I bought my car it was scary on the freeway because of the play in the steering box. The previous owner told me it was because of the power steering. I adjusted the box and it's fine now. Had to give it about 2 1/2 full turns. Not all at once though.

Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I'll see if I can adjust it some more. I've always heard that it's bad to over tighten the adjustment nut so I've been careful not to go more than a turn or so. Glad to know that it can be rebuilt if it is shot.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I just had a power steering box for an International Scout rebuilt three times before it was done right. The first place sent it back to me with more slack in it than it had when I sent it to them. I called them and told them it wasn't done correctly and they had me ship it to another place (and they footed the bill). When I got it back, it had about as much slack in it as it had originally. I was totally disgusted and finally found a place in Ft. Worth, TX (called Steerco) that had one on the shelf I could swap out with mine. Since it was only 3 hours away, I decided to drive down and pick up the box in person so I could check it for slack before I purchased it. They gave me a tour of the shop while I was there. I was quite impressed. It turns out that most rebuild shops only put new seals in the boxes. However, unless you machine the housing, you won't get the slack out of the steering. Steerco did a fantastic job. My steering is finally right. I also paid a little extra and had the steering box re-valved to get it a more modern feel. Steerco can also change the ratio of the steering. Anyway, the moral of the story is that you can have your manual box rebuilt. If you want it done right. Use a reputable shop. I highly recommend Steerco in Ft. Worth, TX.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
replace the system

I know many of us want to keep the car original. I am only in that I want to keep it looking original only from the outside. I want it to perform at a top level of confidence, so my wife and I can drive it anywhere and not being worried about suspension, steering and brakes amongst crazy new car drivers.

That being said, at some point I will go and replace my 65's steering with a Church Boys Racing power rack and pinion. I believe it is one of the best routes to go and provides better than new car steering and handling. My humble opinion.

james

#churchboysracing #rackandpinion

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for all the replies, good info about Steerco in TX. I might go that route or the shop in the LA area. I know what you mean about the "crazy new car drivers" out there. It's like you don't even need to be a good driver anymore with modern cars being so safe and forgiving. People here in California drive like they've got a death wish. It's scary in the sloppy ol' Chevy ii with someone always glued to my rear bumper. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts