Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my leaf springs rebuilt. I went to test fit them with shackle bushings and the eye spring bushing installed. The springs seemed about 2" short. With the eye spring secured, the shackles would need to be pushed forward a great deal to make it fit.
Does the fact that the diff is not installed with the stocks matter? Would that extra weight "lenghten" my springs so the shackles are at a 90 degrees?
It fit when I pulled it all out :oops:

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I'm interested to know if you are using the original mono leafs, or some aftermarket multi-leaf springs. Also, are you working on a stock '63? If your springs were rebuilt or 're-arced', then they will be shorter than they were from bushing hole to bushing hole. Re-arced to stock, they shouldn't be too short, but if they are re-bent to have a higher body height, then they might be. You could install the front eye, install the differential on the springs, and then block them on the subframe at the rear to install the shackles, but this will likely result in a taller ride height.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested to know if you are using the original mono leafs, or some aftermarket multi-leaf springs. Also, are you working on a stock '63? If your springs were rebuilt or 're-arced', then they will be shorter than they were from bushing hole to bushing hole. Re-arced to stock, they shouldn't be too short, but if they are re-bent to have a higher body height, then they might be. You could install the front eye, install the differential on the springs, and then block them on the subframe at the rear to install the shackles, but this will likely result in a taller ride height.
Thanks for replying. It's a 63 that had 3 leafs swapped for the mono leaf.I didn't think about re-arching them.They measure the correct A/B -25.37.9/16.
I will add the weight of the diff and see if that works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With all the pain there is with changing springs, and now they wont fit problems... why not just add a pair of air shocks to lift the body 2 inches like we did in late 60's? Is it really that much of a no no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts