Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a picture of the clips used to hold the rear headliner panel to the roof? Nit sure what this panel is called, my car is missing this. I have sourced the panel, but am told the clips are hard to find. I would like to try and source locally in Australia, so hence a picture/brand/part number would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
I used these exact clips to re-install my headliner panels across the top of the front windshield, down the rear of the B column
and across the top of the rear windshield. As oleyellar said, you'll most likely only get one whack at the clip. If they don't go
into the hole securely the first smack, the next smack will probably break the clip. I broke four before I finally figured out they
needed to be hit very hard and straight on to install. I had my wife hold the panel in place with a punch on one end, I slide
the clip in a hole in the middle of the panel and used a short 3/8" ratchet extension positioned on top of the clip. I set the
extension on top of the clip and held them both with one hand as I smacked the extension very hard with a regular size claw
hammer. Not easy but can be done. My advice...order extras!

Note: Now that they are all in, I'm seriously considering drilling a couple of holes for some small pop rivets in each panel just
for security. I guess you could say that I really don't trust these clips to stay secured in the larger hole. If you want to do this
be sure to use a very short drill bit so as to not punch through to the outer sheet metal. Also, when the rivets are all installed
be sure to file off the nail so it will not stick a hole in the headliner. Maybe others have done the pop rivet thing already and can
give you more advice.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Now you've got me to thinking about the screws that have a large flat head like those used to install all the Pillar Drip Rail Molding
that supports the door opening gaskets like the GMClassic 83264 screw. You've got a point about the panels bowing down when the
headliner is installed. After installing the clips, I did pull down on the panels to see if the clips would pop-out and they didn't but that
bow is definitely going to be a factor in the installation. You've changed my mind about the pop-rivets. Gonna get some more in my
next GMC order.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,006 Posts
Now you've got me to thinking about the screws that have a large flat head like those used to install all the Pillar Drip Rail Molding
that supports the door opening gaskets like the GMClassic 83264 screw. You've got a point about the panels bowing down when the
headliner is installed. After installing the clips, I did pull down on the panels to see if the clips would pop-out and they didn't but that
bow is definitely going to be a factor in the installation. You've changed my mind about the pop-rivets. Gonna get some more in my
next GMC order.
I used framing screws for metal studs, big flat Phillips head, 1/2” self drilling. You can get a box at Home Depot for cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
HD has tons of screws. Do you have a part number for the ones you are talking about or a link?

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Hey Rick . . . . . great idea . . . . . I'm making a note , for my headliner .

Thanks , jim

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Thanks rebob. It's a 50 mile round trip to HD but I've got some other stuff I need so these are on my list.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Our town has dried up to nothing now. We do have a small hardware store but it has been downsizing for
the last couple of years. It carry's less than half the stock it use to have. If it isn't a standard stock that most
people would buy, they don't have it anymore. Amazon online is what we have to do now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts