Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so here is my dilemma that i know SNS will have no problem solving.
I need some info on how to properly trace the floor pan in order to make a center console. I have seen ways using cardboard but it seems a little to inaccurate for what i want to achieve. what would be the best way to go about this? Is there anyone with templates possibly that they would scan that i could modify for my use ?

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Jordan, the contour of the floor will depend on the footprint/shape of your console. In the past when I've built consoles/interior panels, I used the cardboard cutout method. I'm in the process of building another center console for our 63 and I plan on using my profile gauge to help out. Here is a link to the gauge.

http://www.eastwood.com/3-pc-adjustable-profile-gauges-5-10-15-inch.html

Frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this will help out alot did not know something like this existed or i would've bought it a long time ago! Much Appreciated

·
6,516 Posts
Once I get a rough shape cut out of a section of cardboard I then use a set of dividers with one side having a pencil and then making sure it stays perfectly vertical I can make marks on my cardboard.

I've also gotten my cardboard template close and then with some scraps of paper cut to fit different area's and having them large enough to overlap onto my rough cut template I then tape the paper sections to the cardboard.

Keep this in mind too that the carpet normally doesn't stick tight down against the floor and sometimes if I have a little bit of a gap I'll place some padding under the carpet to puff it up and then once the console it put in tight the console edges push into the carpet and padding below it.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts