Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally... full rebuild including Right Hand Drive (RHD) completed after 3 years. Some of the highlights/modifications listed below.

Check out the other thread I was running of the rebuild

1. Body
    1. Custom paint based on Range Rover Firenze colour. Car was stripped to bare metal, limited rust found and was removed and plated. Car was then proxy primed, necessary repairs undertaken and placed in high fill. Basecoat, colour, clear and flow coats were applied
    2. Custom gearbox and driveshaft tunnels
    3. Custom chassis rails fitted adjacent to factory rails
    4. Custom gearbox cross member fabricated
    5. Custom fuel and transmission lines made, fitted and hidden
    6. Custom/shortened Holden VK steering rack

2. Suspension
    1. FRONT: CPP mini sub frame kit and sway bar fitted with VariShock adjustable coil overs
    2. REAR: Custom Ford 9' with triangulate 4-link and Viking adjustable coil overs

3. Brakes
    1. FRONT: 300mm disk with twin piston calipers
    2. REAR: Holden HQ drums will all wheel cylinders, springs and drums replaced. All components were zinc coated
    3. New VH44 brake booster fitted under front drivers guard
    4. Custom brake lines and hoses made, fitted and hidden

4. Interior
    1. Custom dash fabricated and Autometer gauges and LED pilot lights
    2. Custom billet collapsible steering column designed and fitted
    3. Custom wiring harness made, fitted and tested
    4. Wiper motor relocated to under dash

5. Engine Bay
    1. All wiring and brake lines hidden
    2. Custom 1” 3/4 headers fabricated and ceramic coated, with custom 3inch mandrel bent exhaust

6. Engine
    1. Forged 383 stroker
    2. AFR 195cc heads
    3. COMP top end (cam, springs, rockers, retainers, etc.)
    4. Victor Jnr manifold
    5. Quick Fuel 850 carb
    6. ICE ignition system with voltage booster

7. Gearbox
    1. TH-700
    2. 3700 TCE convertor
Over the build, I learnt a lot about myself the people around me and of course met some cool people and made some great mates!

20191226_220607.jpg
20191222_145831.jpg
20191222_145552.jpg
20191222_145808.jpg
20191124_202840.jpg

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i remember back when you started to cut up this 65 an i thought he has got his hands full. you have come a long way with is nova. it looks totally fantastic. the engine compartment is just very neat an clean. even the horns are chrome. whats the rear gears ?

Reactions: OZ Nova

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i remember back when you started to cut up this 65 an i thought he has got his hands full. you have come a long way with is nova. it looks totally fantastic. the engine compartment is just very neat an clean. even the horns are chrome. whats the rear gears ?
Thanks mate... it was a long journey, but with perseverance we made it to the destination. I'm running 3.7s rear gears!

·
13,605 Posts
Great car and a very nice job on the RHD conversion. You may already know that GM built factory 1st and 2nd generation RHD Chevy IIs (and Acadians). They were all built in Canada. In 1965, there were 75 complete RHD Chevy IIs produced, all six cylinder sedans and wagons. Many more right and left hand drives were built as semi or complete knockdowns to be finished in the destination country. I have no information on where the exports went, but some of the LHD exports have surfaced in Scandinavian countries.

Bob

Reactions: OZ Nova

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great car and a very nice job on the RHD conversion. You may already know that GM built factory 1st and 2nd generation RHD Chevy IIs (and Acadians). They were all built in Canada. In 1965, there were 75 complete RHD Chevy IIs produced, all six cylinder sedans and wagons. Many more right and left hand drives were built as semi or complete knockdowns to be finished in the destination country. I have no information on where the exports went, but some of the LHD exports have surfaced in Scandinavian countries.

Bob
Thanks Bob... there is a factory RHD 1st generation 4 door near me in pristine condition. It's my understanding that the RHD wagons were used by the USPS at some stage.

·
13,605 Posts
Thanks Bob... there is a factory RHD 1st generation 4 door near me in pristine condition. It's my understanding that the RHD wagons were used by the USPS at some stage.
That's correct. They were 2nd generation wagons. There's a nice '67 still floating around the U.S. It was on eBay around 2005 for $125,000. The bidding got to $11,000:rolleyes:. The 2nd generation RHD cars all had 1st generation dashboards. They'd already been converted for 4 years and fit the 2nd gens just fine. Less expensive and easier than converting the 66/67 dashes.

Bob

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Finally... full rebuild including Right Hand Drive (RHD) completed after 3 years. Some of the highlights/modifications listed below.

Check out the other thread I was running of the rebuild

1. Body
    1. Custom paint based on Range Rover Firenze colour. Car was stripped to bare metal, limited rust found and was removed and plated. Car was then proxy primed, necessary repairs undertaken and placed in high fill. Basecoat, colour, clear and flow coats were applied
    2. Custom gearbox and driveshaft tunnels
    3. Custom chassis rails fitted adjacent to factory rails
    4. Custom gearbox cross member fabricated
    5. Custom fuel and transmission lines made, fitted and hidden
    6. Custom/shortened Holden VK steering rack
  2. Suspension
    1. FRONT: CPP mini sub frame kit and sway bar fitted with VariShock adjustable coil overs
    2. REAR: Custom Ford 9' with triangulate 4-link and Viking adjustable coil overs
  3. Brakes
    1. FRONT: 300mm disk with twin piston calipers
    2. REAR: Holden HQ drums will all wheel cylinders, springs and drums replaced. All components were zinc coated
    3. New VH44 brake booster fitted under front drivers guard
    4. Custom brake lines and hoses made, fitted and hidden
  4. Interior
    1. Custom dash fabricated and Autometer gauges and LED pilot lights
    2. Custom billet collapsible steering column designed and fitted
    3. Custom wiring harness made, fitted and tested
    4. Wiper motor relocated to under dash
  5. Engine Bay
    1. All wiring and brake lines hidden
    2. Custom 1” 3/4 headers fabricated and ceramic coated, with custom 3inch mandrel bent exhaust
  6. Engine
    1. Forged 383 stroker
    2. AFR 195cc heads
    3. COMP top end (cam, springs, rockers, retainers, etc.)
    4. Victor Jnr manifold
    5. Quick Fuel 850 carb
    6. ICE ignition system with voltage booster
  7. Gearbox
    1. TH-700
    2. 3700 TCE convertor
Over the build, I learnt a lot about myself the people around me and of course met some cool people and made some great mates!

View attachment 398146 View attachment 398147 View attachment 398148 View attachment 398149 View attachment 398150
VERY NICELY DONE!!!
Have fun driving her....
Trevin

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's correct. They were 2nd generation wagons. There's a nice '67 still floating around the U.S. It was on eBay around 2005 for $125,000. The bidding got to $11,000:rolleyes:. The 2nd generation RHD cars all had 1st generation dashboards. They'd already been converted for 4 years and fit the 2nd gens just fine. Less expensive and easier than converting the 66/67 dashes.

Bob
WOW... $125k USD - that's like $200k AUD :oops:

A few years ago a RHD 2nd gen was for sale in Greece and quite reasonably priced from memory. Was keen on it... suspect I was more keen on a holiday to the Greek Islands to inspect it :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello i have a 63 nova and was wanting to know if you could send through some photos of the RHD rack and pinion you fitted as i want to change mind to rack from the HK steering box i have any info would be helpful thanks kev

1 - 17 of 17 Posts