Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing extravagant.
This is a 350/290hp engine. Over heats, temp climbs slowly and never comes down..
I don't think this is even the correct radiator.

What is the radiator size? And stock fan shroud?

Does anyone have one? For Sale or pic?

Thanks
Al

This is for Tim's little 65.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117142

In car now. ???????????

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Al, radiator looks big enough. I bought my shroud from Classic Industries (Part No. 3878892) It's temporarily out of stock. Same size radiator with a shroud keeps my 12.5-1 383 at 190 all day long. Sorry don't have any pics of shroud. If you go to Classic Industries website they have a pic. Burt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That looks like the stock rad. looks the same as mine it handles the 350 with no fan shroud just won't sit in slow parade trafic for long 20 min. max. get a summit univirsal rad. and a shroud,should be good.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
If the temp doesn't come down when you're driving at highway speeds, a fan shroud isn't going to solve the problem. Fan shrouds only help when you're idling or putt-putting around town.

Your radiator looks to be similar to the 1965 factory V-8 radiator though. The 65 fan shrouds are not reproduced but you can use a 66-67 style.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
What kind of fan is on there? I'm just running a stock fan and fan clutch on my 350 but with an aluminum rad, no shroud, holds right at 190 no matter what. Rad fits 62-67, no trans cooler, love it. Ebay item 260396384214.

Attachments

·
6,497 Posts
You could move the rad back so it's closer to the fan. The fan should be around 3/4" from the rad when a shroud is not used. There is too much air being sucked through the fan that is from the engine compartment. The fan will pull air easier from the engine compartment then through the rad. It may be enough. The fan already has a long spacer on it so the option is the standard V8 rad spacer. With the fan 3/4" from the rad you'll be pulling air from the area of the fan blade. Almost no air is pulled (at idle) outside the fan diameter and at the center of the fan.

The best solution though would be with a shroud and a fan properly sized for the shroud opening. The fan should be 1/3 into the shroud. This will make the fan pull almost 100% (there'll be some air sneaking from the engine compartment)of it's air through the rad.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
inlet/outlet

`

The cooling issues might be coming from the radiator inlet being on the outlet side. If its clogged it could be sucking hot fluid right back into the engine.

Also have you tried checking for dead spots in the radiator with one of those thermo-lasers?

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,667 Posts
Tim wants it to be a rat rod so break out the duct tape and cardboard! :D

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Throw that piece of junk flex fan out the window, along with the solid mount. You will get better HP and gas mileage with a clutch style fan with a shroud, or better yet, electric fan.

Solid mount fans are worthless! Been there, done that! Worthless!
I never had any problems with flex fans. I have had cooling problems with electric fans though.

Also, tons of factory performance engine with more the 290 HP came from the factory with solid fans and didn't overheat. My 65 has a stock fan set-up and never sees 200. Solid fans perform just like clutch fans until you are moving at highway speeds.

Here's a couple pics of a 1965 HD A/C V-8 radiator and factory fan shroud:

·
Registered
906 Posts
that 65 ac hd rad/FINGER GUARD setup is what i ran on my 63 for years and never got hot ever even with very high compression and a 17 inch flex fan,now iam going with a chevy11 only four core triple pass l79 rad. and 66 fan shroud with 17 mech.fan to keep the car period correct,i have seen guys run that slumit alum rad in first/second gen cars with bad results:yes: then some guys have had good luck with them,keep it simple and get atleast a three core rad,/ and shroud and that will take care of the overheat problem
don

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
You could move the rad back so it's closer to the fan. The fan should be around 3/4" from the rad when a shroud is not used. There is too much air being sucked through the fan that is from the engine compartment. The fan will pull air easier from the engine compartment then through the rad. It may be enough. The fan already has a long spacer on it so the option is the standard V8 rad spacer. With the fan 3/4" from the rad you'll be pulling air from the area of the fan blade. Almost no air is pulled (at idle) outside the fan diameter and at the center of the fan.

The best solution though would be with a shroud and a fan properly sized for the shroud opening. The fan should be 1/3 into the shroud. This will make the fan pull almost 100% (there'll be some air sneaking from the engine compartment)of it's air through the rad.

I would agree here ^^^^..... It needs to have the radiator spacer., not to mention that radiator looks like a 6 cylinder application due to it's width., however the upper hose & cap are in the wrong locations... Looks like it's from something else to me.... Probably be better off with the correct V8 radiator with internal trans. cooler & correct spacer...

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Al, get a 6 blade fan, and shroud from Chevy 2 Only, no clutch, moves wads of air, no problem...had no luck with electric. Reasonable price, fan is good to 7 grand........that new motor won't get over 180, unless I let set in the sun and idle for about an hour...$140 bucks and some change, problem solved...the 6 blade fan is at the bottom...

T,

Link to C2O.......http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S2MW0NDTBR12815701316b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000132A

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I never had any problems with flex fans.
I'm just pointing out that a solid mount fan robs HP and fuel economy. :( They cool just fine, but in my experience with them, it cost me 3 MPG :eek: on the freeway (from 16 to 19 MPG). According to my finely tuned butt dyno, was costing me about 10 HP as well. Moving to a factory clutch fan made a lot of difference.

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
Well now,

Unfortunately, for now, I'm gonna need to evaluate other options. :yes:

That green stuff that gets things done is getting harder and harder to find. :rolleyes:

I will be in touch. Thanks Al.

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wish you the best of luck ... I had the exact same symptoms and after trying every fan combo I got frustrated and tore my car apart ... its been in pieces for 5 years :(

When I start working on it again I will try a taurus fan ... cheap and move the most air pretty much any electric fan and dirt cheap at the pull apart.

arndog

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
I wish you the best of luck ... I had the exact same symptoms and after trying every fan combo I got frustrated and tore my car apart ... its been in pieces for 5 years :(

When I start working on it again I will try a taurus fan ... cheap and move the most air pretty much any electric fan and dirt cheap at the pull apart.

arndog
If a stock or clutch mechanical fan won't keep it cool, you're probably not going to have any luck with any electric. You have something else wrong and should be looking at other things like the radiator, water pump, or the engine itself.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Shrouds are a necessity. They will make all the difference during the stop and go traffic. And Im a fan :) of clutch fans. Straight mechanical fans are a major power waster. Had a buddy with a nice 60's ford truck and a 351 cleavland. Thing made a whole lotta noise when he jumped on it. The noise was the strait mechanical fan. Sounded like a jet turbine.

I dont have ANY cooling issues. Electric fan with a very large radiator. And the fan is as close as it can get, sealed to the rad. with a shroud and soft tubular rubber surround. Im thinking I could cool another car if I need to LOL JR

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
I've managed to track down an 8-cyl radiator for the '65 (kudos to Tony again!:yes::yes:). Don't know if I will need a shroud or not, but I posted in the parts wanted section for this.....

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you need a shroud, I have a v8 one as well as a 6 cylinder one here in San Diego. Deals can be made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts