Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives, but could not find any help regarding this question:

Will sedan, four door, or wagon A pillars interchange with a 1965 hardtop (no post A pillar)?
If not what is different- can others be made to fit?

I'm going to buy a 1965 Hardtop- it's pretty much a basket case. The worst part to me is that one of the A pillars is rusted through in two spots. The rust is not near the cowl (cowl looks very good) but pretty much in the middle of the pillar.

I think the best way to repair would be with a rust-free donor piece from out West. Hence the question of interchange. I believe a 62-65 hardtop (and possibly convertible) will interchange. I see that there are different windshield gaskets for a sedan- so I assume the pillar is different too? If so, can a sedan be made to fit?

Also, I ran across a vendor selling a reproduction A pillar for a 66. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell if this piece was the entire (structural) pillar or the trim piece. Could this piece be re-worked and made to fit a 65?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The only difference is the sedans and wagons are 1&1/2 INCH TALLER ROOF LINE AND A PILLARS. If you are planning on cutting a section out of the center there should be no problem with any 62-67 a-pillar to graft into the rusted area

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Im pretty sure you can use any pillar to patch yours but if you want to replace the entire pillar, your going to want to use a hardtop one, because the height and angle are different.

Dale @ novasrus.com has good used pillars. Hes a member here on Steves; Blue66Deucex2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the news, guys. If what Dueces2 says is true, I can buy a brand spakin' new pillar for a 67 from a vendor and use the middle to patch this rust bucket up. (Hopefully, blasting won't reveal any more extensive metal worm damage.)

This is good news for me. I don't mind welding on pre-made patch panels, even if they have to be seriously re-worked. It's the fabrication from scratch that I lack talent in. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts