Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
14,152 Posts
Looks like all the data plates were off and standard rivets to re-attach be careful

1965 cars had round VIN plate rivets with a change over to rosette sometime during the production year. I've heard this took place at different times at different plants. The cowl tag rivets certainly appear to be incorrect and interestingly look the same as those fastening the VIN plate:rolleyes:.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,109 Posts
What to do about situations like that? It is usually the case that someone is trying to put one over, but not always. I could see a guy removing the VIN and cowl plates for paint purposes, then needing to reattach them. I could even see a guy having had the car a good long while, know the provenance and have some docs, and have this issue? Scrap the car? Is there any way to put it right short of the scarlet letter of a state-issued dmv sticker?

Next will be someone cutting out the entire area around the plate, cutting out a hole in the next car, and welding the plate in place so carefully it would be hard to discover.

Hard to know what one of these is worth. It seems to be at the midway point between a stocker and an 'upgraded' or customized version, so a little mojo is lost in each direction. I still think it's 5 figures.

·
14,152 Posts
You make a very good point, Frank. Removal/re-install of the cowl and VIN tags is probably not a great issue on this car, but can be when dealing with a numbers matching vehicle. I'd certainly be asking questions about these two tags and, hopefully, the answers make sense. Something for everyone to consider before removing cowl and VIN tags before restoration. More and more prospective buyers are now studying these tags. In most jurisdictions, it's illegal to tamper with or remove a VIN plate. Cowl tags have no legal status, but do provide original information about the car. With all the bogus tags out there, a cowl tag with incorrect rivets will raise a red flag.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts