Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to changing my plugs on the wag finally... got to the number 3 plug.. Ain't no getting to it.. I'm about ready to just break the damn thing and move on... Center dump exhaust.. Any ideas before I crack it with a hammer??????...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have two or three plugs that I have to throw a socket and then use a wrench on it to get it out, just like the others above.

With my old heads, on one plug I could take a box end wrench (angled) and fit it over the plug and get it out like that, because getting the socket on was a pain too.

Headers make things fun, haha!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sometimes you have to go under the header flange and remove them with a box end wrench. Buy a set of those accel shorty plugs might make you're life easier. RICK

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes you have to go under the header flange and remove them with a box end wrench. Buy a set of those accel shorty plugs might make you're life easier. RICK
It's impossible to get a plug wrench on it.. I've tried just about everything I can think of... except short plugs... I'd concider them but I need to get the #3 plug out first.. I'm going to drive it up on ramps this morning to see if I can get it from under the car... It even looks like the plugs been in since 1964:eek::eek:.. its rusted up pretty good

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two or three plugs that I have to throw a socket and then use a wrench on it to get it out, just like the others above.

With my old heads, on one plug I could take a box end wrench (angled) and fit it over the plug and get it out like that, because getting the socket on was a pain too.

Headers make things fun, haha!
There not header... they're the original center dump exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have used a 5/8" socket with a wrench on the end like stated. Another good wrench is an old Model A wrench. It has a really good offset to it an it's 5/8" box end. I have used it many times over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used a 5/8" socket with a wrench on the end like stated. Another good wrench is an old Model A wrench. It has a really good offset to it an it's 5/8" box end. I have used it many times over the years.
I have a few offset wrench's.. but the size is 13/16.. not 5/8

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have a few offset wrench's.. but the size is 13/16.. not 5/8
Yeap yours would be 13/16", all mine for the longest have been 5/8" unless I was running the old double humps back in the days and one old 283 I had.

If you have a hex head socket you can cut them down and shorten them a bit sometimes and then use the wrench to turn it.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Randy, the plug socket is generally just a tad longer than it needs to be... try cutting/grinding about 1/4" off the end and see if it will then make the turn in between the gear box...

might be the socket is a teeny tad too long ;)

try it on one of those cheap plug sockets, don't cut a good one ;)

i have numerous sockets & wrenches i've modified through the years for specific applications. i've more plug tools i've modified than any others... i wonder why? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy, the plug socket is generally just a tad longer than it needs to be... try cutting/grinding about 1/4" off the end and see if it will then make the turn in between the gear box...

might be the socket is a teeny tad too long ;)

try it on one of those cheap plug sockets, don't cut a good one ;)

i have numerous sockets & wrenches i've modified through the years for specific applications. i've more plug tools i've modified than any others... i wonder why? ;)
Great idea Johnny... I have a few sockets.. I'll sacrifice one.. You one smart dude... But ya didn't hear from me..... :no::D.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I put my Wagon up on ramps, and got some of them from underneath.

My Wagon had a 327 with center dump stock Ram horns.

If I remember, I did use the spark plug socket with a wrench on a couple of them.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I use the snap on socket that is machined for that application once over the plug the wrench can be used to remove it the center on the socket has a little bigger opening for the side slip in and its shorter

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone.. I used Johnny's idea.. Cut 1/4 + a touch off the socket.. Slid right one then used a 7/8 box end to loosen and tighten it back on.. Took a whopping 10 min. to do the last two plugs.

Big thanks to Johnny for his very spot on fix.............. Thanks Johnny once again.. you've proven that old is wise...:D:D:D:cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm doing this right now with my 283. Glad I'm not the only one struggling with that one. ITs all stock you'd think GM woulda made it easier.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
With the stock manifolds I always found the right side to be worse than the left (not #3 but #4 was hardest). However, removing #2, leaving it out and then attacking #4 always seemed to make it a lot easier.

And yes, a couple of "custom" tools can help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts