Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'64 Turn Signal Switch Question

So, my drivers side brake light doesn't work and I traced it to the turn signal switch. While I have 12 volts, when the lamp is connected it drops to 0v and of course the lamp doesn't light. I am thinking there is a poor connection in the switch. The drivers side rear turn signal does work.

I have a harness with 8 wires, and can only find replacements with 6 or 7. I assume these are the first and second design.

This leads to my question. Has anyone replaced their 8 wire switch with a 7 wire?

I am assuming the 8th wire is for the shift indicator lamp, which is no longer there as it was converted to floor shift. The wiring diagram only shows 7.

I plan to pull the switch and attempt to clean it, but would like to have a new one here in case it needs replacing.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pulled it apart and cleaned the contacts and fixed it, but now the other brake light doesn't work. Just ordered a new switch assembly.

Turns out the 8th wire is for the shift indicator lamp. I don't need it, but it looks like if someone did, it can be moved to the new switch and wired to the connector.

Rob

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The best switch out there is the one from American Autowire. They own the GM tooling. All the others are junk. Ask me how I know!

Tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. If the one I purchased from Classic Industries doesn't work out, I will get one from there.

Rob

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Save the springs/contacts from your old switch. The reason the new switches are bad is instead of spring steel they used formed copper and they just don't hold their shape. If you clean up the springs and put them in your new switch it will work fine.Maybe just cleaning up the springs and contacts in your old switch will fix it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received the switch from Classic Industries and it looks good. Contacts don't appear to be formed copper.

Time will tell.

Turn Signal Switch.jpg

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts