1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cowl tag vin 640211 body nw2229

F760 Paint 912-10

W
This is how the cowl reads. I’m reading it as fawn interior but there’s no evidence of anything but blue inside. Can this be a typo? Package tray paint, headliner and door panels all look original.
Package tray,

·
13,703 Posts
1964 Chevy II 100 series 2 door sedan. Fawn interior with Silver Blue exterior. 760 was Fawn buckets, which weren't an option on a 100 series. Sure it isn't 761? A blue interior for this car would be 734. Just for info, the cowl tag isn't a VIN. The body number is the Fisher Body sequence number. Doesn't match the VIN. The VIN tag is on the driver's door jamb and is assigned by Chevrolet.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely looks like 760 on tag. I’m boggled on fawn buckets. Could there be fawn with blue door panels and blue headliner?

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Wow, a completed "DD" VIN tag. Don't think I have ever seen that not on a truck. I am reading it as built 2nd week October and delivered 10-30.

The cowl is probably a mis-stamp. Is your car a split bench seat?

Low sequence number.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Man, that is certainly weird. Has to be a mistake, as I'm not even sure that was a possible combination. Sometimes, more than you would guess, it's not about the numbers, and it's about all of the rest of the clues about a car that still has enough original aspects of it. Never seen a 100 series stock with buckets, any color.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, a completed "DD" VIN tag. Don't think I have ever seen that not on a truck. I am reading it as built 2nd week October and delivered 10-30.

The cowl is probably a mis-stamp. Is your car a split bench seat?

Low sequence number.
It was converted to bucket seats, but came with the original split bench seat. The colors of that seat matched the door panels and every other original aspect of the interior.

·
13,703 Posts
Not a cowl tag mistake, but an error in information on novaresource.org. I checked my NNN information which gives interior codes by model. For a 1964 Chevy II 100 series 2 door sedan it states 760 as Medium Fawn cloth. The 'F' in front of the code indicates fawn interior sheet metal, so if this car's interior is now all blue, it's been changed to that color at some point over the years. A bucket seat interior was only found in the '64 SS and was not an option for any other model. The trim code for fawn in the SS was 718. Novaresource.org mistakenly also shows it as 760.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear package tray has faded blue paint, headliner and visors are blue with rusty chrome visor mounts. The rear rubber around back glass is faded blue, steering wheel old, chipped blue, door and rear seat side panels all matched the blue cloth bench seat that was replaced, etc.
Someone must have really disliked fawn to go full bore blue like that and it had to be way, way back when it was replaced because all the blue looks about the same equal age.
This is very odd to me. Why buy a low valued economy car and go that far to swap all that out and probably 60/70s at that.

·
13,703 Posts
Yes, hard to understand, but lots of things happen to cars over 55+ years. There were only 3 factory interior colors for this model....fawn, red and aqua. Does the current interior look like a true blue or more of an aqua color?

Bob

·
13,703 Posts
The door panels are not original or correct reproduction, so they've been redone. The package tray blue color appears to be similar to the silver blue exterior color. Any non visible interior sheet metal is usually body color. The headliner would have been fawn originally. The top of the rear seatback visible in the package tray picture does not appear to be factory type material, either. Do you have seat pictures?

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol we are laughing here at this whole thing. We truly thought it was blue and those chips had primer color under the blue. Then we look behind the steering wheel and plain as day faun.
So faun interior and blue exterior is the final?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts