Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm relatively new here, but I love the collaborative spirit. I am gearing up to start what is a big project for me and I'm hoping you guys could loan some of that "been there/done that" knowledge to me in preparation. I want to upgrade my 64 Chevy II suspension, brakes and steering and I feel a little overwhelmed by all the different kits and components that are out there. This car is a 283 with a power glide that I hope to have swapped over to a 350 turbo, 700r4 of 200r4 by the time this upgrade is done. It is a daily driver, and I rarely get into the throttle as it's a 4 mile drive to work. I want a complete overhaul on the suspension with upgraded handling, alignment memory, and smoother steering with the added bonus of front disk brakes. I have seen tons of options and just don't know which is the most complete, best performance, most bang for the buck. Does anyone have experience with trying to upgrade all of this at once or is it better to do it a piece at a time. Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hi guys, I'm relatively new here, but I love the collaborative spirit. I am gearing up to start what is a big project for me and I'm hoping you guys could loan some of that "been there/done that" knowledge to me in preparation. I want to upgrade my 64 Chevy II suspension, brakes and steering and I feel a little overwhelmed by all the different kits and components that are out there. This car is a 283 with a power glide that I hope to have swapped over to a 350 turbo, 700r4 of 200r4 by the time this upgrade is done. It is a daily driver, and I rarely get into the throttle as it's a 4 mile drive to work. I want a complete overhaul on the suspension with upgraded handling, alignment memory, and smoother steering with the added bonus of front disk brakes. I have seen tons of options and just don't know which is the most complete, best performance, most bang for the buck. Does anyone have experience with trying to upgrade all of this at once or is it better to do it a piece at a time. Thanks for any help you can offer!
I've done it all a couple times now....the most complete user friendly quality best bang for your buck is church boys racing components....they sell complete suspension / brake packages....give them a call and tell them what you are looking for....excellent customer service and all their stuff is made in the usa....www.churchboysracing.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. As always happens, I searched for a thread like mine before I posted it and as soon as I posted it pops up 5 different threads regarding the same question. Sorry for clogging up the site with redundancies. I will say that every single one of the threads I've read regarding suspension always wind themselves back to CBR. Looks like I know who to call now. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Church boys racing..... All Nova all the time.

I sourced my brakes from right stuff and it works just fine with church boys but if your looking for that one stop solution church boys is it.

The only other option to consider is a complete front clip but that is a whole different ball game in terms of work involved.

Sent while texting and drag racing

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
Alright, has anyone had any experience with the Fatman's kit?

http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/products/1962-1967-nova-independent-front-suspension-ifs-kits/

This looks like a very complete kit to me and already has the brake system. I would love some one stop shopping but maybe I'm missing something? Anyone have advice?
Most of the people I have talked to over the years are unhappy with the Fatman kit mostly due to very poor turning radius. We have a local guy that bought a car with this kit and is going back to stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't necessarily have a set budget. I would like to keep the complete overhaul below 2500 while eliminating my worn out steering box and column while gaining a smoother ride, better handling, alignment capabilities and disk brakes up front. I know that may be a pipe dream but I expect it can be done for around that amount of money with just a little more work. That being said, if it costs me more than that to get exactly what I want, then so be it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went with Church Boys

So it's been a while, but I finally completed the upgrade. i went with the Church Boys Rack system and the Right Stuff front 11" disk brakes. All in all a great setup. The only issues I had were with some of the directions in the CB kit being a little vague and out of order at times, and I would have liked to see more "step by step" photos instead of different angles of the finished product. However Chuck (Jr and Sr) were more than helpful for any questions I had. The brake kit went off without a hitch after about 10 trips to the parts store for adapters and whatnot (I'm sure there is a good reason, but I can't imagine why you need 5 different sized ports on the same piece of equipment (none of which match the original equipment on the car)). There was a bit of stress involved in the last days as my time limit for getting the car back on the road was rapidly approaching and I had what seemed to be an insurmountable pile of parts still on the bench. I did find that my usual alignment guy refused to work on the car now that it had been "modified" even though he makes his name from being the guy to go to for old cars, jacked up trucks, and lowered vehicles. The next alignment shop stood me up on my appointment and expected me to just be late for work after my car sat there for 2 hours, then a third shop aligned the car only to have the camber so far out that it looked like an old Rat Fink illustration. I gave them a second go and they had the caster so far out that I was constantly fighting the car to keep it from turning in a circle. They tried to blame it on the new tubular crossmember being bent even though it installed perfectly in the existing frame mount holes. I even called Chuck who lamented that I wasn't closer to him as he offered to align the car himself if I could get it to him. Finally I returned to the, hidden behind a house and an elementary school, bear rack using, alignment guy that first worked on my nova 30 years ago. She drives like a dream now and I'm looking forward to installing the Viking coil overs and upper control arms next year if I can wait that long, if not, I know what I'm getting for Christmas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts