Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Its been a while. I see the site has a nice new look!
Can anyone help me our? I can't seem to find a thread by a fellow SNS member who did an excellent project on how to fabricate your own steering column when going from 3 on tree to 4 on the floor. He had tons of great pics. Getting old :) THX

·
Registered
49 Posts
This one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one?
Bingo! Thanks mrockey24 Great to have SNS friends ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem. I was planning to do the same thing then realized I couldn’t. My car was originally an auto and so there’s a tube inside the column blocking me from putting the lower bearing in place. Still hoping to figure out a way since I’m trying to this car as low budget as possible.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you’re going to a manual trans you can remove the column shift hardware and build it as described in the thread you posted.. The bearings are readily available and superior to the bearing at the steering wheel.

The bearing number is a Timken p/n ER12 and there are comparable substitutes available.
No problem. I was planning to do the same thing then realized I couldn’t. My car was originally an auto and so there’s a tube inside the column blocking me from putting the lower bearing in place. Still hoping to figure out a way since I’m trying to this car as low budget as possible.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have done it but I’ll have to look at the parts to refresh my memory and get back to you. The column in my 63 was mangled up where the bezel attaches and I had a column shift column on hand. It disassembles fairly straight forward. The shift tube slides out the bottom..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts