Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a newbie here. I bought a 64 SS and am going through the car. I noticed that the accessories can still work without the key in or engine on. So the directional signals, windshield wipers and heater fan turn on without the engine running.

I had a 63 when I was a kid and I dont remember this as an “option”!!! I’m thinking it’s the ignition switch or at the dashboard.

·
6,151 Posts
My wagon can run with the key in it or out. If I turn the engine off and leave the key in the vertical position and remove the key, anyone can come along and start the engine and drive off not using a key. They just have to turn the ignition switch and no key is required. To safely remove the key and prevent this from happening the key switch has to be turned beyond the vertical position to the 11 o'clock position. With the key removed, the switch can't be turned unless the key is in it. I never realized this for the first year of owning the car. I would turn off the engine leaving the switch in the vertical position and walk away. :yes:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Lock, off, run, start..

If the key is in to run position with the engine off the ignition system is hot and the systems you spoke of will be operational..

Put the key to the off or lock position and only the lights, horn should work..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Key issue?

I can see the key positions. My key assembly is moving but it doesn't seem to go past the "ON" position to LOCK.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You kind of have to push the key in and go all the way to lock position without hesitation. If I go kind of slow with my 63, it tends to stop on the Off position.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Key Issue?

Hi did you or someone change the lock cylinder It sounds like it was put in at the wrong position you can remove and reset it. The other thing is the ignition switch is just bad not the lock cylinder they are two different things. good luck

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My ignition switch took a dump a year or so back and kind of self destructed on me.. I had no warning that it had a problem.. I had moved the car out on to the street so I could rearrange the order of the vehicles in my driveway. I had no problem with the switch it fired up as usual.. When I was ready to put it back in the driveway the switch let me rotate to the start position and the engine turned over but didn’t fire. As I rotated the switch a second time to start the engine the switch made some different/unusual/disturbing sounds.. I could rotate the switch but only partially. As I kept trying to rotate the switch to see if it would free up and allow me to get the car started the switch got worse and eventually just got stuck and wouldn’t rotate at all. Once that happens it gets a bit more complicated to get the switch out..

Do yourself a favor. Remove the switch out while you can and investigate what’s happening before it locks up on you..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts