Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
63 and 65 Manuals: Thanks Innovative63

Here is a post that may help you http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114181

Special thanks should go to Tim, Innovative63, for this generous NPHNP post. :yes: If we all would scan and post our manuals, we could: save a forest of trees; cut down our carbon footprint; and avoid a lot hazardous ink chemicals.

Ron

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There are a lot of retailers who have 64 nova manuals, including many who support this site. You can also find them via fleabay (ebay) and at most swap meets. I would recommend getting both the service manual and assembly manual.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
And the saga begins!!!

Hi everyone it's been awhile since Ive posted but now were ready to start the adventure. We were pooling our resources and we've made our first major purchase. We decide to purchase the Chassis Works front clip assembly after seeing it on several Nova II applications at a car show here in the Dallas area. After adding the options we wanted the total price was a little over $5,400.00. One of the options included was a Wilwood front disk brake conversion kit and ther were other various upgrades/add-ons (We can cover those later).
We started today and have hit the first stumbling block. We're trying to remove the stock steering column, the instruction included with the clip kit are for vehicles with an automatic tranny and dont cover removing the a "3 on the tree" column. I seem to be hung up on the shifter linkage:

If anyone can provide instructions for how to disconnect this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please keep in mind the stock column and stock steering mechanism will be replaced so if I have to hack saw it off so be it

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
We started today and have hit the first stumbling block. We're trying to remove the stock steering column, the instruction included with the clip kit are for vehicles with an automatic tranny and dont cover removing the a "3 on the tree" column. I seem to be hung up on the shifter linkage:

If anyone can provide instructions for how to disconnect this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please keep in mind the stock column and stock steering mechanism will be replaced so if I have to hack saw it off so be it
in the pic you'll see cotter pins attaching the rods to the levers... remove them and the rods will come out.

here's a source for the manuals...
check out the "Assembly Manual" and the "Fisher Body" manual... you can download from the link posted above but for the cost of buying the actual book... it may be a better option to just buy them.

http://www.gregsonline.com/

the assembly manual is $22.00 http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/NovaChevyII/2020.htm

the Fisher manual is $25.00 http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/FisherBody/65PSMB.htm

the body manual is a '65 unit that will cover the '64 model too. these books, with use, will pay for themselves :yes:

and i agree with Nwayne... cut it up if that's what you want to do, a mini-tub, full tub job can be undone if needed and won't affect value of car... might actually add to value depending on condition of the entire build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The column is out!!!

Big kudos to MUNCH. I call him and within 2mins. he had me on the right track:salute:

I purchased the original shop manual prior to purchasing the car and it has very few details with regards to removing the column but since MUNCH is as old as Moses he knew all about it. (Just kidding Buddy)

Today we (the wife and I) took the engine and tranny out. I have lots of pics but I'm too tired to post with caption. I promise to get to it... Tomorrow??? Maybe??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi !!!!
I haven't posted since Moses was a minor but I'm make great progress on the Nova. My son seems to have bailed on me but I'm hanging in there.
So far I've completed the following tasks:

Removed the old engine & tranny
Removed the old steering wheel & steer box (that thing kicked my ***!!)
Replaced the front clip with a complete ChasisWorks setup
Converted the rear drums to disks
Replaced the old gloveblox
Updated the wiring using a American Auto Wire harness
Updated the instrument cluster using a Classic Instruments setup
Converted the front lamps the halogen
Added Hush matting to the entire interior & trunk

The car is now away for engine & tranny install. Im working with Alex of Nasty C6 Performance His shop is located in Rockwall, Tx.
Alex is... Well... Arguably the best mechanic I've ever know which is hard for me to say. My grad dad was Superman to me and for a long time he was the best. Well, move over Pah Pa, there's a new Sheriff in town:yes:

His attention to detail is 2nd to none. We'll talk
more about OCD Alex later:waving:

for the engine We decided to drop in a LS2 6.0 that was bored 30 over.
The engine was purchased and disassembled down to the block, the block was sent off to be machined & re-surfaced, the cranked was milled & re-surfaced as well.
The heads were cleaned & machined
Valves & springs we replaced (if needed)
Push rods were checked and cleaned up to be all PURDY and stuff. We got new 30-over pistons & rings
ALL of the bearings (bearing caps, crank, cam, and push rod) were replaced... ALL of them with original GM parts.
All of the lifters were replaced

The gearbox is a 4L60E. Alex rebuilt the tranny which also included replacing ALL of the clutches the the Raybestor "Red" Hi performance clutch pads.
u know
I have alot of photos but I felt like I needed to drop some lines regarding my progress and I promise to properly chronicle my adventure soon.

Till then... :clap:

Hi.
I'm new to the whole rebuild/restore scene. My son got me into it. I recently purchaced a 64 Nova and its in rellay good running condition. My plan is to repalce the straight-6 powertrain with a LS1 egine and a T-56 tranny. I also know I'll have to (want to) replace / expand the rear-end and tubs the wheel wells. as well as upgrade the suspension and braking systems. I welcome any help and/or advice that maybe out there. I want to start with the rear-end tubs, any step-by-step advice or thread links you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cant make'm all happy

:worthless:
:pics::pics::pics::pics::pics:
As I stated in my last, I have lots of pics... LOTS!!! Finding the time to post them in chronological order with captions is a daunting task but like my build, I will prevail.
My post last evening was an update on the progress I made... You're welcome???:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Update

Hi all
The carr is away for engine & tranny install so I now have some time to update my thread. I noticed others named their vehicles and in that spirit I've decided my car Trisha-Anne after my deceased older sister. After all, she was my biggest cheerleader despite all of the personal demons she battled until her death. Just to update ya, here are so pics of my tribute:

Time to tear it down. We (the wifey and I) decided to use the car as a daily driver. One option was to leave to car as close to original as possible and restore it back to its former glory but the more I thought about it, the less appealing that idea was to me. So I convinced her a modified restoration (or resto-mod) was the way to go because it would offer the best of old & new. She reluctantly agreed mostly due to the fact she loves older cars and is a firm believer I should leave the car "as close to original as possible." I told her the car will look the same but would have better performance with improved fuel economy.

We also decided to do most of the work ourselves and to hire or farm-out the jobs beyond our knowledge base.
I've always consider myself an engine/tranny guru but I came to realize the knowledge I have aint worth a quarter in Greek currency when it come to the modern powertrains. So with that in mind and thru diligent research I found Alex Rakich thru a friend of a friend. Alex works out of his home based shop in Heath, TX. He provided for me MANY references and all of them speak so highly regarding the work he does and him as a person. Alex (AKA Nasty C6) has several threads, pics, and videos on www.ls1tech.com. Check him out. Despite that I had to see it for myself, after all I'm gonna be putting my baby and a big pile of cash in his hands and I have to be comfortable with the decision. So I asked him if I could come and just hang out he agreed and I can say with confidence the guys knows what he's doing. I watched him build, install, wire and fire up an engine for a Chevy truck in a matter of hours; I watched him reconfigure 3 wiring harnesses; and I watched him tear down and rebuild an Edelbrock carb. In short he's arguably one of the best mechanics I've ever seen who's truly obsessed with doing it right... THE FIRST TIME.

Nuff of that.

So after consulting Alex we decided on a LS2 and to bore it 30 over making it a LS3 (I think?). It was also decided we'd get the engine from a junkyard and rebuild it from the inside out. Alex said it would much chearper to do it that way and after more research I came to the same conclusion.

Below are pics of the engine we purchased:

Again its a 6.0 litre LS2 out of a Chevy truck. The plan is to send it to the machine shop cleaning, testing, and to be bored 30 over.

We'll get back to the engine later.
My wife assisted with engine and front clip removal:

That's sexy me admiring our work

My neighbor Super Dave came over to "assist":

The engine is a 194 cu in. straight 6 with a 3 speed tranny. And yes, its already spoken for:

Using rattle cans of degreaser do what it does:

More degreasing:

I let it set for 20 minutes and broke out the power washer:

My wife wanted in on the fun as well:

We let the car dry out and pushed it back in the garage. She then started the teardown. Her dedication to this project is... Refreshing. Like they say; a good woman is hard to find. Guess I got lucky:

We power washed the firewall & transmission tunnel area and prepped it for painting;

We let it dry overnite and here are the results

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Time to assemble

We decided on the Chassis Works Chevy II g-Machine Subframe System
(sku #700-4). The total price after adding optional upgrades was a little over $5,400.00. Let the games begin!!!

Mounted the Wilwood 4 piston calipers that came with the kit

Mapped out & mounted the steel braided brake lines for the calipers as well, the brake line bolt holes had to be drilled and tapped. The instruction manual that came with the kits provided detailed instruction on how to complete this task.

·
Registered
200 Posts
How do you get so lucky to find a wife that not only shares your enthusiasm to rebuild your ride, she also enjoys turning wrenches on it with you? I am sooooooo envious.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts