Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm new to the whole rebuild/restore scene. My son got me into it. I recently purchaced a 64 Nova and its in rellay good running condition. My plan is to repalce the straight-6 powertrain with a LS1 egine and a T-56 tranny. I also know I'll have to (want to) replace / expand the rear-end and tubs the wheel wells. as well as upgrade the suspension and braking systems. I welcome any help and/or advice that maybe out there. I want to start with the rear-end tubs, any step-by-step advice or thread links you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome to SNS, home of any and all things Nova. Warning upfront: These little cars are addictive. I would recommend you spend some time searching the site using the search engine for topics like "tub"; "LS1"; "LSx"; "brakes"; "steering'. You get picture. There is a ton of advice and how to's already written down just waiting for you to discover.

Its strictly your build and sequence, but most people new to 1st Gens (62'-65') start by tackling the steering / alignment since it appears to be one of the weaker factory points. Most install a Classic Performance Parts' Mini Sub-frame kit or equivalent. There are many other associated upgrades like 5 lug wheels and rack and pinion steering that should be given some consideration for now or later upgrades.

There has been a lot written recently about the LSx swaps as you will see from your site searches. I saw an LSx and some serious well priced parts for sale in the "62-65 parts for sale" section today that you might want to check out. You might want to visit Church Brothers Racing, father and son SNS members that produce quality products for Novas including their own. They have products for both steering and LS1 swaps that might interest you.

The only reason I suggested steering and power plant first, by then the tub job might have a more defined purpose and clarity to include rear end and tire selection to meet the available power and purpose. Regardless of the timing, I believe there is a vendor who sells a mini-tub kit that I've heard from others on this site is easy to install. Again, worth the effort to use the search engine to see what others have done.

Post some pictures so we can all see that 64. :yes:

Ron

·
Banned
435 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's people like 62Convert and the advice he offers that make this website invaluable.

With the one quaification that '64's already come with 5 lug wheels take all of his commments to heart especially those regarding the front suspension.

The only question I have is W H Y would you want to ruin an excellent little car by installing "tubs" on it? So many of the 1st generation Novas...almost all of them sedans...have been ruined because of this irreversible decision that is often made impulsively. Once done, the car's re-sale value virtually disappears...and rightly so.

Give it some thought.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The only question I have is W H Y would you want to ruin an excellent little car by installing "tubs" on it? So many of the 1st generation Novas...almost all of them sedans...have been ruined because of this irreversible decision that is often made impulsively. Once done, the car's re-sale value virtually disappears...and rightly so.

Give it some thought.
Agreed :yes:

Lets see some pics of the car. Theres a boat load of info here and if you're wanting to do an LS swap, check out LS1tech.com/forums ...they have a conversions & hybrid section as well as the same search function that will come in very handy.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
[QUOTEThe only question I have is W H Y would you want to ruin an excellent little car by installing "tubs" on it? So many of the 1st generation Novas...almost all of them sedans...have been ruined because of this irreversible decision that is often made impulsively. Once done, the car's re-sale value virtually disappears...and rightly so.

Give it some thought.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, anything even a tub job can be undone and it wouldnt be that hard. Also I dont think it hurts the re-sale value there are many people that might even pay more for the car thats been tubbed, there's a market for both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed :yes:

Lets see some pics of the car. Theres a boat load of info here and if you're wanting to do an LS swap, check out LS1tech.com/forums ...they have a conversions & hybrid section as well as the same search function that will come in very handy.
I just uploaded a few pics in my album section. I snapped of 43 but only uploaded 3. If you want to see more just let me know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to SNS, home of any and all things Nova.

The only reason I suggested steering and power plant first, by then the tub job might have a more defined purpose and clarity to include rear end and tire selection to meet the available power and purpose. Regardless of the timing, I believe there is a vendor who sells a mini-tub kit that I've heard from others on this site is easy to install. Again, worth the effort to use the search engine to see what others have done.

Post some pictures so we can all see that 64. :yes:

Ron
Thanks Ron!!! Think I'll take your advise about where to start and leave the correctly named rear-end next to the last cog in the power-train machine. I would think finding the appropriate drive-shaft would be last ( I guess :eek: )

Also, just joined the LS1Tech.com forum... Well, I hear my bed calling so I'll say goodnight for now. Again thanks a million times over for your help.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
MY :2cents: IF I WERE TO GET BACK RACING, IT WOULD BE COOL TO GET A CAR THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN TUBBED, AND THEY ARE REVERSIBLE. ALL YOU NEED IS A DONOR CAR TO DO IT. I AGREE THERE IS A MARKET FOR BOTH:yes:
:welcome::waving:BIG BILL TO SNS, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
OK... said I was going to bed but...
To be honest with you I feel like I have to "tub" in order to get more rubber on the road and better results from the LSx power-train. Is that not the case?
Well not always, once upon a time thats all you could do but there are guys running caltracks and a pretty narrow tire with great 1/4 mile times. Do some searching there are many more options these days. You could also do a mini tub.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
It's people like 62Convert and the advice he offers that make this website invaluable.

With the one quaification that '64's already come with 5 lug wheels take all of his commments to heart especially those regarding the front suspension.
Just to clarify, There are some 4 and 6 cly 64 ChevyIIs that were made 4 lug. I have one in my driveway. The story goes that they used the rest of the 4 lug inventory up on some of the early year cars. All 64 factory V8 cars were 5 lug though.

I had to buy 62/63 front wheel cyl. for the brakes They are different on 4 lug and 5 lug cars.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I just uploaded a few pics in my album section. I snapped of 43 but only uploaded 3. If you want to see more just let me know
BigBill0711, Those albums are tough to find for some of us computer challenged guys. Thought I would post your album pictures on this thread so more users can see them.

I think you and your son are going to have a blast doing this moredoor. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress with lots of pics.

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BigBill0711, Those albums are tough to find for some of us computer challenged guys. Thought I would post your album pictures on this thread so more users can see them.

Ron

Thanks again Ron!!!

psoting the pics on the thread proved to be a challenge for this computer guy :confused:.

Can you tell me wher I can pickup a set of mini tubs?? can seem to find anything, I've checked with CPP and TCI. no luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ron

Thanks again Ron!!!

psoting the pics on the thread proved to be a challenge for this computer guy :confused:.

Can you tell me wher I can pickup a set of mini tubs?? can seem to find anything, I've checked with CPP and TCI. no luck

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Ron

Thanks again Ron!!!

Sorry, I am not the right person to reply to this question since I have not done it before. A search of SNS turned up a lot of threads on the subject. A google search turned up a lot of firms offering something called a Nova Mini Tub kit. Hopefully one of the SNS guys who has done this before will catch this post and speak up. However, you would have more luck if you start a new thread in one of the subforums, possing this question. The title of this thread may not catch everyone's eye.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Bill, nice talking with you, you can get a set of trick mini tubs from DES - (Detroit Speed and Engineering).....about 400 bucks...has a DVD for install instructions etc......nice piece.....

T,

·
Banned
435 Posts
Advice????

Five years ago fellow member "acadian" posted this comment:

"...for all the newbies out there I have just one warning, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, be cautious to not fall too deep in the trap or trend that the car magazines want you to fall into...be it pro street...pro touring or other avenue, just remember before laying all that money out that trends come and go but the classic styling lines of the early chevy II....are timeless and the only cost (is) the admission price of buying one and taking care of it".

Acadian's words remain timeless and are as true today as the day they were posted and put into proper context the following "advice" from Nwayne.

Tubbing it, if done properly won't hurt the value. Cut that biatch up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts