Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both windows in my 64 sedan have rusted channels. I can’t find these upper tracks with the window mount or seal to hold them in

I see them for hardtops but there totally different. Anyone know who makes these

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,291 Posts
They are not reproduced and likely never will be. Are yours rusty or rotten? I cannot tell from the pics. They are almost always rust scaled, but that can normally be cleaned up.

If they have separated, but are not rotten, they can be tack welded back together.

If they are toast and you cannot find good used replacements, 4-door ones can be welded together and trimmed down to fit. Pain in the rear but it is possible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem with my 65 post, I searched and could not find new. I cleaned up mine with a brass wire wheel, painted them with rustoleum galvanized paint, and got some new seal material from a nice guy at a car glass shop for a couple bucks. The seal material was specific to no car, and was like rubberized felt is the best way I could describe it. It came in a flat roll about 2" wide, and the one I put in on drivers side took about 4 attempts. I had to heat it and soap it to get it in. It kept tearing, very frustrating and didn't turn out anything like original, and when the window was up all the way you could see it looking down through the exterior rubber seal. Long story short, I took it out, uninstalled it, and set the glass in the channel with black silicone. I let it dry, then put a heavy bead on top of channel where glass meets it, let it dry over night, then took a razor blade and straight edge and cut a beveled edge on the top of it. This was the best fix I could come up with. This seals and holds the glass great and won't allow any rust to continue, I hope. Sorry I didn't take any pics of it now to share. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might be able to buy new ones for a hardtop and cut them down relocate the roller channel and ends by spot welding so as not to damage the new chrome. I just replaced the ones on my 64 hardtop and could provide you with the dimensions off the old ones if needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of buying the new one for a hard top and chopping it up for parts.

Do they sell the seal for the hardtop? Or just use setting tape

·
Vendor
1,291 Posts
The seal is called "Glass Setting Tape or Gasket" and is readily available. It comes in varying thicknesses and is usually sold by the roll or foot. If you have the wrong thickness it can be a nightmare to install. The 1962 - 65 hardtop windows use a different style seal than the sedans and wagons. Sedans use a double-fold seal. I do not recall the dimension. Using soap and water or glass cleaner as a lubricant, pound the track onto the glass with a rubber mallet, trim the excess. A extra set of hands helps, but I have done it solo.

The stamping of the coupe track is a different design than the sedan one, I do not know if they interchange. I can likely find you a good set of tracks if you are not in a hurry. PM me if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts