Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to wrap up the front end hoses/lines and one of them is the power steering lines.

I need to know what size hose and adapter fittings do i need along with valve needed to complete it.

I currently have a power rack i think from a t-bird and a Saginaw power steering pump. Im planning on making my own lines, not sure if anyone has done this?

I found a valve on jegs not sure if this is the correct one. If anyone can provide part numbers for so i can review im trying to save some money.

Lastly this may be a dumb question i am a newb to AN FITTINGS, can i use fuel hose AN FITTINGS for power steering hoses?

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
As far as using AN fittings used for fuel the answer is NO! You have to use pressure fittings with PTFE hose for the pressure side. The return side you can use whatever. If I can find the company I used I will forward it over to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as using AN fittings used for fuel the answer is NO! You have to use pressure fittings with PTFE hose for the pressure side. The return side you can use whatever. If I can find the company I used I will forward it over to you.
Thats what i thought on the AN fittings but wanted to be sure.

As for the hose itself i did read about the ptfe but also saw EARLS Power Steering that does not read it being ptfe not sure if i can use it. Number:EAR-150006ERL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update i have ordered several fitting/adapters to build my own lines i also purchased a flow valve once i get it done and fitted i will post my update with part numbers. Assuming it all works.;)

·
Vendor
1,223 Posts
TCI sells a kit for the early GM Saginaw pump. It comes with the rack adapter fittings, stainless steel pressure and return hoses and fittings and the correct flow restrictor port. It sells for $170. I have them in stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tim for the offer but i wanted to go towards a more cost effective way.

I saved about $50 bucks buying everything separately and this was because i bought 3 feet of power steering hose vs 2 feet approx that i needed.

Here are the part numbers i used keep in mind you will need to buy your own AN fitting for what YOU need.

CPP VALVE CLP-CPFCV-K $18.99
Hose end EAR-150106ERL $11.21
TWO 90 degree to 6an fittings fra-259106 $35.98
1 power steering adapter heidts HDT-PS-040 $15
1 power steering adapter heidts HDT-PS-050 $15

Earls power steering hose 3 feet listed above in prior responses.

I have not installed the hose onto the adapters yet, but as you can see on the rack the pressure port is on the front i also found heidts pdf instruction kit to validate what i thought. The rack adapter were a bit of a pain to install with everything in the way. The valve was simple. I mocked up the AN FITTINGS and will cut ps line and install this week i will not be able to test it as the car is not complete but so far it should all work.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A suggestion:
Before you mount the valve/fitting that goes into the back of the Sag pump measure the orifice w/ a drill bit (do a Go-No Go deal). That old style pump is made for boxes and not racks. The pressure is too high for your rack and your PS will have too much assist at speed. A hole any bigger than .090 is going to give you too much flow.
My opinion.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had already installed the valve but you had me thinking ALF so i took it off to check and you can clearly see the new valve is smaller on the inside i tried taking a good photo but its hard. Thanks for the tips on the valve and hose length.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts