Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just started working seriously on this project. Currently I am working on rebuilding and replacing the front suspension, brakes, steering. I've got the passenger side steering disconnected and the suspension and brakes removed. Went to driver side and found that the frame rail has some rot. It's not super serious but bad enough. I looked at all the sites on the net that advertise frame rails. None of them fit my vehicle. Gave Ebay a shot and can't believe that I actually found a driver side rail fairly cheaply. I see that I am going to have to support the engine during this project and it looks like I will be taking some of the front end off. Any advice from anyone who has done this before?

·
Registered
850 Posts
You should try and post pics of the rotted area, I wouldn't waist time repairing it just my 2 cents. I would look at a new aftermarket front clip. Take a look at CBR's stuff.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m leaning towards what Bugguy says. I think it’s time to talk about the project as a whole. Are you trying to restore it? Drag it? Cruise it? Autocross? If you’re looking to get any performance out of it, going with an aftermarket subframe already set up with a arms, coils/coil overs and good brakes is a great start. Depending on budget you can start with the CPP set up for around 2 grand or some of the other companies like TCI or CBR.a friend of mine is building a 65 and installed the CPP kit, it’s pretty good. Spending that time and labor to replace the rotted rail and gain no performance is not the route I would go, but again, not sure what you’re looking to achieve with the build. Happy wrenching!

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I have a '67 327 out of a Chevelle with 275hp stock. I'm undecided at this moment about the tranny. It will either be a TH350 or TH400. I do not have a build sheet for the engine. I do know it was bored 0.30 with a comp cam, hi-hump heads with a dominator intake. I'm undecided at this point about carburation. Either way I have to get her dyno'd after I get her put together. Even at the stock 275hp this car should be pretty damn impressive on the street. Maybe once in a while on the strip but mostly street. I looked at CPP front clips. I'm thinking the Mustang II IFS system should work pretty well. Has anyone used one? How much fun is it to get the fenders and all aligned when trying to put the skin back on? Any other surprises I can plan on? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I picked up the new skirt assembly today. I couldn't find any of the suspension companies that made an aftermarket. I look on ebay and here is a "64 left skirt assembly, better yet, it's 40 miles away from me. This brand new old stock original parts. It's perfect. Talked with the guy for probably an hour or more. He had a '64 station wagon that he dropped a 307 into. Ran it street/strip. He lives about ten minutes from Lebanon and has been going there since he was a kid. He ran stock everything at the time in the front end. Definitely says a brake upgrade to power is a must. He basically did what I am doing where he went through every system and fixed or replaced as he went but he used stock. As it turned out, while we were talking he looks up on a shelf and tells me it's my lucky day and pulls down a Moog box with a brand new set of springs, he hands it to me for free. Totally amazing. The car culture is so awesome like that. I'll start this leg of the project tomorrow. Luckily the Chevy Shop Manual has a section on replacing the skirt assembly. It's all new territory to me. Woohoo

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I am going to have to go with an aftermarket clip. I decided to go with the CPP Mustang II IFS system. I looked at CB but I can't afford their prices. I may in the future change my mind but for now I'm gonna go with the CPP system. Have the front clip off. Have some areas of rot that I need to attend to before I can move on with getting the new clip. Posted a couple of pics showing the damage I'm talking about. Gonna get to work on that this weekend. No idea how deep it's gonna go.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
My friend bought a CPP for his first gen and it’s good.
I wanted mine on the road and enjoyable and made some sacrifices along the way due to budget. I have some upgrades planned, in the meantime I’m enjoying the heck out of it.
Do you feel you would ever out drive the CPP setup? If not, great choice! Spend that money elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts