Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put new door switches in since they were bad, they hadn’t worked previous but would like to square away the wiring a little better.
Is there a spot on the fuse box that they go to specifically? I can’t find anything specifically saying that.
I’m sure it’s just a wire that isn’t hooked up

Is there a fuse box legend somewhere that I can’t seem to find to see what

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
The following is information about the doom light circuits with both door switches in the depressed (non-grounded) position. When the center stud is in the out position, the switch will be grounded. If you’ve replaced the door switches then you should have +12Vdc on the BLACK wire on both of the switches as the switches turn the dome light on by providing a ground for the bulb. If it is not present then you do not have power from the fuse box through the dome light bulb. Both leads from the dome light bulb will have +12Vdc on them as without a connection to ground, the bulb is above ground and +12Vdc can be detected on both these leads. The following will lead you to the +12Vdc power source on the fuse box from the dome light bulb.

Looking at the 3WD-080 link you will see the Dome light bulb representation to the immediate right of the License light bulb. Follow the BLACK wire which is the right-hand wire coming from the bulb, up to a splice to a BLACK/ORANGE wire. This splice is the connection in the harness to provide the +12Vdc to the bulb. That wire goes to a connector which is located under the dash. From that connector follow the BLACK/ORANGE wire to another splice in the wiring harness. This splice also provides power to the light switch and three other wires which go off this page to the 3WD-081 page. I provided that info so you’ll know you are following the right wire on the schematic. Follow the BLACK/ORANGE wire over to the right of the schematic to where you will see a BROWN wire and a BLACK/YELLOW wire along with the BLACK/ORANGE wire you are following. I provided the colors of the other two wires to make it easier to follow the correct BLACK/ORANGE wire off the page. These three wires are listed in a bunch on the schematic. Now open the 3WD-081 link and look to the left of the schematic and see those three wires coming onto the schematic. The bottom BLACK/ORANGE wire goes over to the Fuse Box. The wire should be connected to a fuse holder on the fuse box.

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1964/WireChev64_3WD-080.jpg

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1964/WireChev64_3WD-081.jpg

To follow your grounds, open the 3WD-080 link and find the dome light bulb again. The left wire coming from the bulb is indicated to be a BLACK/WHITE wire. Follow that wire up to a splice that has three wires. Going on through the splice, the BLACK/WHITE wire will go to the same connector under the dash as mentioned earlier. From there it goes down to the Light Switch. When you twist the knob to the left on the light switch it grounds the circuit to allow the Dome Light to illuminate. Going back to the three-wire splice you will see another BLACK/WHITE wire that goes directly to one of the door switches. Here is where the door switch grounds come into play. When the switch is activated with the stud in the out position, it grounds the BLACK/WHITE wire and the bulb illuminates. Simple huh? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! I’ll go through this and chase some wires, it looks like both the door pins are white wires and the drivers side goes into a block as well so I’ll have to see what’s not hooked up, again I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for all the help, I think I found all the trigger wires and the dome light, I’m pretty sure while working on all of it my headlight switch rotation finally went out since I’m not getting any power to the Instrument fuse now.
I got a new switch coming so hopefully that gets everything squared away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts