Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue getting the correct carrier shims? I ordered Ratech's installation kit to install an Eaton posi and 3.73 ratio gear set. The shims provided were (4) .100"/plus shims and an assortment of .010"-.020" shims. The way these were designed was to sandwich the smaller shims between 2 larger shims for over .200" of shimming. The shims I removed from the original carrier were .078" and .080" and it looks close to what I need for the new carrier. Ratech claims I have a carrier out of a Corvette. The factory service manual shows shims ranging from .064" to .094" so I think it's a cataloging issue. I can't believe they've never run across this before. What's up!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You should be able to reuse your old shims, if they would by chance be the correct sizes. If not, send a PM to jbimmolate. He owns a rearend shop in Stockton. He's a real good guy. I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Chuck

·
4,539 Posts
yeah those shims are hard to come by. The early stuff uses the thin ones like that. Corvette carrier lol sure:rolleyes:. If you can determine what sizes you need I can see what I have but I too am limited on those shims. You can also use some of the thin ones from the kit w/your stock shims if they are too thin. just put the thin shim to the housing side. If worse comes to worse you can use a different type of shims pressed under the carrier bearings.

Miles

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Miles and Chuck for your help. I spoke with Ratech again and they also said that I may have a Corvette carrier. I understand that, what I don't understand is I'm installing a 19603 eaton posi and I'll need the approx. same shim dimensions, is this a Corvette posi also or is the Chevy II housing different? I did some research at Ratechs website and found a page of dimensions that shows part #'s 1108 & 1125 shims that have the same ID and only .005" OD difference and come in sizes that I think will work. They are sending me these. I may also have to find some shims to place between the carrier and the bearing and/or reuse my original shims with the shims I received in my install kit. What a pain, especially since I worked hard at making sure I had all the parts and took vacation time to do this.

Thanks,
Scott

·
4,539 Posts
it's the housings that were different. They had problems with those thin shims walking out and getting chewed by the axles so the redesigned it and made the shim area larger thus using thicker shims.

Miles

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think I've finished it. I used a bench top belt sander to custom make shims for this. The left side was one from Ratechs kit (.099") and the right side was an original worked down to (.065").

Thanks,
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts