Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first off, forgive my ignorance....I'm not a full fledged mechanic. Just a weekend Do it yourself learning on the go.....with the help of Shop/service manuals.

OK, now I have a question on a valve cover I just purchased for my 194 inline 6 (64 Chevy II Nova 400 series).

Now, on this cover, there is a opening on the side and one in the rear section. I know a hose connects to the rear opening, but what do I do about the opening on the side?

Again, forgive me if this is a simple question. I'm trying to learn.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
My first 67 Nova was a California car and had all sorts of smog equipment that my current, Nebraska 67 doesn't. That hole in the side on my Cali car had a hose that ran up to the bottom of air cleaner. Also, there was no breather in the oil cap, just a cap itself. The rear hole is for the PCV.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the front top hole would be an OIL fill cap, the back hole would be PCV valve, and the front side hole is where the breather tube goes to the air cleaner base. You can plug the side tube and use a normal breather fill cap instead of a oil fill cap if you want. I have a couple of plugs laying around - PM if you need one.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I have the same valve cover, yes you'll plug that side hole. Filler cap in front and pcv valve in the rear. Also, you'll want to use the cork valve cover gasket to seal it up good. Don't make the mistake I did, and buy the rubber gasket...it will leak guaranteed! Also if you're interested in some chrome covers for the passenger side lifter area let me know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same valve cover, yes you'll plug that side hole. Filler cap in front and pcv valve in the rear. Also, you'll want to use the cork valve cover gasket to seal it up good. Don't make the mistake I did, and buy the rubber gasket...it will leak guaranteed! Also if you're interested in some chrome covers for the passenger side lifter area let me know.

Question....
Will the stock PCV Valve fit in this location?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Baffled!?!

A stock one is baffled, I cant speak for the chrome one. I dont think it would interfere with a correct PCV valves operation. I think the valve would be sucked open by the intake constantly and causing a less than smooth idle.

I wouldnt run a PCV in the side unless you put an oil fill plug(not a breather) on the front top and move the breather to the back. And use a PCV valve thats designed to be mounted sideways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Baffled

My apologies...I meant if I could use the stock PCV Valve in the rear opening of the chrome valve cover. I looked inside the new cover and it is baffled. I'll see if I can secure a plug for the side.

But my concern is that rear opening. I need to know if I can use the stock PCV Valv in that location. If not stock, I'll have to get the size of the opening to get the right OCV Valve.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
My apologies...I meant if I could use the stock PCV Valve in the rear opening of the chrome valve cover. I looked inside the new cover and it is baffled. I'll see if I can secure a plug for the side.

But my concern is that rear opening. I need to know if I can use the stock PCV Valv in that location. If not stock, I'll have to get the size of the opening to get the right OCV Valve.
Your stock one should fit fine, if you get the right sized grommet. The first grommet I had fit a little loose and if you weren't careful it would sometimes want to fall inside of the valve cover. I found one that fits perfect, nice and snug and don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

the stock PCV should be fine as long as your not trying to hook up a '62 style system.

The PCV valve can go in the front or the back as long as you have a breather on the oposite side, I prefer the PCV in the back so I can fill the oil in the front easier, because I RTV the PCV in so it doesnt slip out(or in).

Mr Gasket makes some valve cover plugs and grommets they sell them at just about any napa/schucks/kragen/auto zone/advance auto and speed shop.

I was at a wrecking yard the other day and there was a 66 impala with a freeze/expansion plug that was plugging the side hole. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts