Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 64 two door. it looks to have a solid front axle and the inner fenders cut out. How costly would it be to put back to stock?
would it be worth putting back to stock?
how can I tell if it was an original v8 car? the car has a v8 in it.

what other things should i be looking at, like where they commonly rust.
and any other things you can think of.
doe this car have a full frame under it?
sorry I was a 3rd gen guy.

My wife likes the car, she does not like the gasser look.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
the 62-67 Chevy II's were unibody cars with the front subframe bolted to the firewall and lower body,you need a front clip to put back to stock, shouldn't be too much of a problem to find ,not too expensive ,easy to change all depends on what the prvious owner did to the car
do you have pics ?
vin# should tell you if it was a V8
common rust is in the rear quarters, lower doors, top of front fenders ,lower rear front fender and check the floor all the way through the trunk.
Thank you
Craig

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
.......how can I tell if it was an original v8 car? the car has a v8 in it?

Aaron
The 1964 Nova/Chevy II was the first year for the 283 V8. Look under the battery tray. Is the fuel line coming through the inner fender? If yes then the car was a V8 car.

If the fuel line runs up inside the frame rail on the passenger side and stops by the shock tower then it was a six cylinder.

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Without seeing pictures...depending on how/where they made the mods...worst case, you can probably just bolt on a new front clip. You could go aftermarket, or stock. A lot of folks are going with the aftermarket setups, which means there are a lot of stock setups available for sale...relatively cheap...because they're being swapped out.

As for it being 'worth putting back to stock' or not, from an investment standpoint, probably not. The 62-64 models (even the "desirable" SS ones) don't come close to the market value of the newer 'big engine' (L79, L78, etc) ones. If you want a stock restored 64, you're money ahead by starting off with something thats pretty close to stock to begin with. From a driveability/personal preference standpoint...it could be worth it, but you have to make the call.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the solid front axle effect the steering and handling? I want a car that the family can go for a drive in.
I had the race car, no I want the family cruser.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The front bolt on clip should be easy to find and cheep. Alot of guys are replacing them with aftermarket so they just become a boat ancher. You can put an add here in the want section and you may just get one for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts